gasoline for lawnmower

Page 3 of 5

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:56:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

FALSE, if by "fuels" you mean gasoline. Higher octane is expressley there to make the fuel burn slower. That is the purpose of high octane in gasoline. What did you think it was for?
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:40:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well you are talking to the wrong person if you are expecting someone to believe rate of burn, or rate of combustion has anything directly to do with octane. A FASTER burnig fuelis actually LESS likely to detonate, because the "end gasses" of combustion are exposed to high heat and pressure for a shorter time, and therefore are less likely to dissassociate and turn into unstable radicals, which then "detonate" in the cyl.
High octane is NOT to make the "fuel" burn slower. It is to prevent the "fuel" from breaking down into unstable compounds which "explode" in the cyl.
That I KNOW for a FACT. TEL and other octane enhancement chemical additives in fuel act as "anti-catalysts" to prevent that breakdown or disassociation.
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:09:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now that there is COMEDY GOLD!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Giggle.

Use fuel without ethanol. In Canada that means Shell Gold. Not sure about in the USA. LL100 AvGas works good too, but not easy to get your hands on if you don't have a plane.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:24:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where can you buy gasoline without ethanol? That was a "smart fix" to contaminate our gasoline and raise the price of corn.

I just told you. Shell Ultra (gold) gas does not have ethanol in it in Canada.. So you can buy it at any Shell gas station in canada.
Also, AvGas NEVER has ethanol in it.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Got a boat?

Cannot legally put av-gas in a boat.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not even an air boat? How about a sea plane?

A sea plane yes - an air boat no. At least in Ontario.
Doug wrote:

Hmmm, That is all myth to me. I took out my John Deere mower I shut down last fall(I ran it until it quit running out of gas) fill some fresh regular gas, it started in two pulls. I always store 2 or 4 cycle tools after gas runs out. My chain saw when I need it feel fresh mix and it always starts within couple pulls. Weed eater is same. I don't do any thing special other than that.

My chain saw has a pressurized (sealed) fuel tank and even if I leave it for 2 years it always starts on about the second or third pull. The weed eater and leaf blower are another story!!! No sealed tanks, and hard enough to start after 2 WEEKS of sitting.

Running them once a month would work but I'll never do that and many people won't.

ABSolutlely. It's worked great for me. I used to make sure the last two fills had stabil, because some gas from the next to last fill up mixes with the gas from the last fill-up and who knows what makes it into the tube to the carburertor bowl or other carburetor parts. But I never know when lawnmower season will end so now I just use it all the time.

I don't think that matters.

That certainly doesn't matter.
The only reason to use high octane is if an engine is knocking and lawnmowers are not high enough compression to knock with low octane gas, and in addition, I've read that knocking due to low octane doesn't hurt the engine.
Is your lawnmower knocking? (It sounds something like knocking on a door) If not, you have no use for either higher octane gas or lead substitute. If you think it is, what engine do you have, brand, size, compression ratio?

They probably say to drain the gas and then run it until the engine stops. I think they should mention Stabil too. I can't help but think that is better, because, tell me folks, when the engine stops, there is still more tahn half a bowl of gas left in the carburetor bowl, right?
After all, with a full carburetor bowl, the gas level in the bowl and the related venturi tube, or whatever it's called, is just below ovverflowing and a little bit of vacuum sucks it up, but if it drops even less than a quarter inch, the engine won't run.
There are probably similar problems, I mean issues, with non-bowl carburetors.
Or do they say to disassemble the bowl and drain that too? I don't think so.

I've never bothered with my lawnmower, but my motorcycle carburetor has a nipple on the bottom of the bowl and a screw for draining. I do it every winter.
So I use regular gas (ideally without ethanol), with no lead substitute.
High octane and lead substitute are simply a waste. (I don't use Premium in my cars.) I use fuel stabilizer if I'm going to leave the tank with gas in it for a few weeks without running the engine.
That's easy. Thanks!

The better high-grade gasolines have cleaners already mixed in. Avoid gasoline additives, Sta-Bil-treated gas is good. Keep the area around the gas cap clean. Replace filters each year.

I'm surprised no one has suugested RTFM. Most manuals I've read these days say to drain/run the engine dry prior to storage. I do that with my snow blower. With my mower, I just add Sta-Bil to the last two gallons of gas that I buy. That way it will be in the mower whenever the last cut happens to be and I store it that way.
My reasoning with the mower is that it's stored for a shorter perioed, about 4 months vs 9 for the snowblower. I've also only used regular gas, no additives. I agree with the advice that a higher octane isn't going to harm the engine and that if you can find alcohol free gas, that would be good, but I don;t know where you would find it here in the USA.
Phisherman wrote:

In the US, the government stepped in long ago and makes sure all grades and brands of gasoline have cleaning agents and are not supposed to need any other store bought additives. How often do you hear about actual clogged fuel injectors these days? I've never had a clogged fuel injector and I use the cheapest 87 octane I can find. I don't know of anyone in the last ten or more years that has had a clogged fuel injector. Do you?

I think you're right. When fuel injectors started to be universal, there was a fight between the gasoline companies and the car companies. The car companies would only recommend a few gasoline companies that had sufficiently filtered gas that woudn't clog the injectors. The gas companies said the injectors should be made better (although I personally don't know how) I presume the gas companies lost and they all had to make gas that would work with fuel injectors.
Fuel injectors were necessary to get the gas mileage that the law required. Because gas could be dispensed in amounts more suited to the need of the moment, and not just plenty all the time.

Neither have I. I use injector cleaner when I'm having a problem but I don't know for sure it's ever helped. The last time was recently and it didn't help now I thihk the problem was one spark plug wire wasn't on well.