Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation

Page 2 of 2

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.
On 9/13/2011 11:01 PM, pseudonym wrote:

I'm agreeing too. My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked great at first but oil pump went out. I had it repaired under warranty and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as catch does not hold. My son bought one too and it failed after a few months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say about box store products).
I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

I've had a mac for 30+ years now but I think the stihls are the best these days.

Same saw I have...no problems for 7 years.

Oops, mine is a "Wood Shark".
wrote Re Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation:

StihL http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws /
Been using mine for 20 years now.
Make sure you buy if from a dealer that also services the saws. You probably won't need any service, but it's a good idea to support dealers that can provide it.

On 9/14/2011 5:45 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

The clear winner is Stihl and the loser is Poulan for neighbor has two one cuts well if you can get it started, the other never wants to start.
Thanks
.

Remington Chainsaws were made by Desa International prior to 2009.
In December of 2008 Desa International filed bankruptcy and has since gone out of business. During the spring of 2009 MTD purchased the Remington Chainsaw assets from Desa.
I don't think the new ones will sound so vicious:
http://www.mtdproducts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10500_20500_1341976_1341971__-1_2_5__3_

Sadly, anything with the MTD or Yardworks name tag is pretty poor stuff today. I used to buy there stuff when it was made here in Kitchener Ontario - but if they can't make it here, I'll buy whatever I like.
On 9/13/2011 4:49 PM, Pointer wrote:

there really is only ONE chain saw manufacturer. Stihl.
www.stihlusa.com
--
Steve Barker

I tried to sharpen with a file. I guess I just don't have the knack. My brother used a harbor freight sharpener and it came out sharp. I always get in trouble cutting stumps. I got a Husqvarna. Easiest starting thing I have. Sharpness sure makes a difference. I got the supplied extra chain so I can keep one sharp.
Greg
Pointer wrote:

I have a couple of Echo saws that I bought 20+ years ago. The big one is magnesium bodied and the little one is thick plastic. They are great saws, and still run good, but they don't have as much power as their cubic inches should deliver. Never did. The new ones at HD look just as good as the old ones, but with the new EPA and CARB rules I'd be afraid they would have lost even more power due to a restrictive exhaust. Of course you could open that up... Also Echo has a bad habit of discontinuing parts for their old saws. I could understand dropping things like handles and housings, but there's no excuse for ever discontinuing consumables like air cleaners.
I bought a Husqvarna 235e recently because it was on sale to cheap not to buy it. ($150 new with a 16" bar, and I had a $20 coupon on top of that) It does OK for what it is (lightweight "backup saw" for when I don't want to drag out the big saw or it's in the shop or it's stuck in a tree and I have to rescue it) but I couldn't recommend it. And I don't think I'd buy anything with the Husky name on it unless it has XP on the end of the model number.
If I were to buy a new saw (and didn't already have at least one good one) I would seriously look at Sachs-Dolmar.
Whatever you get, plan on buying some new non-safety chain for it. You wouldn't believe how much difference a "professional" chain makes (like Oregon 91VXL or 72LPX, or Stihl or Carlton equivalents) and chains are cheap if you order them off the Internet.
-Bob

I've had a Still 028 for 30 years. In lots of rough use, it has let me down only once (the spark plug failed).
Gary