Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first hand recommendations?

Thanks

Reply to
Pointer

Three, in order of their quality

  1. Stihl
  2. Johnserand (mostly European)
  3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. You can fix and maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. So long as you don't screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are nuts and bolts. When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat anchor. Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are good saws. If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market for a REAL saw.

Learn how to take the bar off regularly, and clean it with a blowgun and parts washer to keep the bar oiler working, and "stuff" out of the centrifugal clutch. Keep your blades sharp, getting them professionally sharpened, or buy a good Oregon sharpener. It will make all the difference in the world.

If you start off with a cheapie off brand saw .................... Happy boating.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.

Reply to
pseudonym

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:49:30 -0400, Pointer wrote Re Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation:

StihL

Been using mine for 20 years now.

Make sure you buy if from a dealer that also services the saws. You probably won't need any service, but it's a good idea to support dealers that can provide it.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Remington Chainsaws were made by Desa International prior to

2009.

In December of 2008 Desa International filed bankruptcy and has since gone out of business. During the spring of 2009 MTD purchased the Remington Chainsaw assets from Desa.

I don't think the new ones will sound so vicious:

Michael Angelo

I'm agreeing too. My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked great at first but oil pump went out. I had it repaired under warranty and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as catch does not hold. My son bought one too and it failed after a few months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say about box store products).

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

Reply to
Frank

a damn either.

I've had a mac for 30+ years now but I think the stihls are the best these days.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

there really is only ONE chain saw manufacturer. Stihl.

Steve Barker

The clear winner is Stihl and the loser is Poulan for neighbor has two one cuts well if you can get it started, the other never wants to start.

Thanks

Reply to
Pointer

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.

Reply to
Ron

a damn either.

Same saw I have...no problems for 7 years.

Reply to
Ron

Sadly, anything with the MTD or Yardworks name tag is pretty poor stuff today. I used to buy there stuff when it was made here in Kitchener Ontario - but if they can't make it here, I'll buy whatever I like.

Reply to
clare

There ARE different levels of Poulan product. I believe one is "poulan pro" - which is a HALF decent product. There cutesy mass market CRAP isn't anywhere close to decent.

Reply to
clare

Poulan Wood Shark from Home Depot.

Reply to
Ron

th a damn either.

Oops, mine is a "Wood Shark".

Reply to
Ron

I tried to sharpen with a file. I guess I just don't have the knack. My brother used a harbor freight sharpener and it came out sharp. I always get in trouble cutting stumps. I got a Husqvarna. Easiest starting thing I have. Sharpness sure makes a difference. I got the supplied extra chain so I can keep one sharp.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

has it cut 20 to 40 cords of hedge (osage orange) per year? or just pruned redbuds in the fall?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm guessing that poulan has got cobwebs on it.

Reply to
Ted

I bought it to cut up 2 oak trees that fell when Hurricane Charley came through in '04. I bought a Home Depot brand (Homelite) at first that crapped out halfway through the first tree. So returned it for the Poulan.

Since then it has been used to cut up 2 more fallen oak trees (neighbors trees) from storms.

It gets used once a year to prune 4 trees.

I used it a few months ago to cut up a LOT of 2x6s and 4x4s for a friend of mine. He was removing a "gazebo" and a pool deck that was built around an above ground pool.

AFA as hedges, I use a hedge cutter for those. And I have no clue what "osage orange" is.

Reply to
Ron

Nope. Gets used when I need it and works fine. And I've cut shit that I really shouldn't have with only a 14" bar. I EXPECTED it to crap out by now, but it hasn't.

Reply to
Ron