gasolene for small engines

As Trader said, the engines vary. After a month, the brush cutter I bought about 1983 will be hard to start. Then I'll find that the mixture is either too lean or too rich. I may have to take the carburetor apart and use a q-tip to remove gunk from a screen. For some reason, when I get it running, a tiny bit of Sea Foam in the tank will clear up problems. I haven't figured out what's in Sea Foam that will clean a carburetor.

For decades, I've been mixing my 2-cycle fuel in a pint- or quart-sized soda bottle. It was sitting around too long if I mixed a gallon. In a soda bottle, I can see that the oil is fully mixed. If the bottom is clear, I can see any water-ethanol. Best of all, it's sealed, so it can't pick up moisture.

The fuel tank on the brush cutter is another matter. I find it best to leave it nearly empty. If fuel can absorb a certain amount of water per gallon, less fuel will absorb less water.

Reply to
J Burns

Hmm, I just let all small engines run dry at the end of season. Store them in tool shed. At the start of season fill tank up with fresh fuel, ~5 pulls it starts and run. Been doing this as long as I remember, no serious problem. Of course I am crazy about regular PM. Feel, Inspect, Tighten, Clean, Adjust, Lubricate. An old Chinese saying, "No trouble, if you prepare ahead".

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Now, that's a new acronym for me. Fictal. I may use that some time.

"So, lawn mower shop? I want a fictal for my mower."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

FICTAL is Latin for DECEIVE. You can't fool me! Anyone with a lick of sense knows: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;)

Reply to
J Burns

Hmmm, That is first thing I learned in the service. FITCAL.... They drilled into my head at advance boot camp, LOL! Some things you learn lasts life time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't know exactly what it is either, but it sure works!!!

Reply to
clare

For me it's always been CLEFT Clean, Lubricate,Examine, Feel, and Tighten.

Nice and easy to remember

Reply to
clare

And it will break for sure!!!

Reply to
clare

I'm not a big believer in snake oil but Sea Foam is one product I've had success with.

Reply to
rbowman

Hi, Then it just falls apart, not break, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's then opinion of my small engine repairman also.

My 2013 brush cutter give me prob with the fuel one year later.. I had been careful with the fuel but it still happened. Even after draining the fuel tank and running engine until carb used what was in it there still was enough left in carb to cause prob. I believe that if they had put in an external drain on the bowl it would have not have happened. Called Briggs & Stratton and they agreed. They said on my model,only solution was to dismantle carb and take of prob.

Great idea... thanks .. I will try that... chain saw fuel going bad has always been a prob since they they started this alcohol additive to gasoline.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

I guess my term "brush cutter" was wasn't a good description. That's what Hoffbro and Troybuilt called it. It's a string trimmer with a couple of optional steel blades. It has a 2-cycle Wisconsin Robin engine and a carburetor the size of an ice cube.

I don't remember ever having a leak, but I keep my little bottle outdoors, just in case.

Reply to
J Burns