gasolene for small engines

Page 2 of 2
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is first thing I learned in the service. FITCAL.... They drilled into my head at advance boot camp, LOL! Some things you learn lasts life time.
On 9/4/14, 4:02 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

FICTAL is Latin for DECEIVE. You can't fool me! Anyone with a lick of sense knows: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;)
J Burns wrote, on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 22:15:45 -0400:

That would be a rare occasion, but, as I had said, it matters greatly the weather conditions. Here, in California, where it doesn't rain for 10 months of the year, gasoline would last longer than it does in the jungles of southeast asia.
This question has been asked and hashed out so many times that you and I won't be able to add to the record, other than to repeat that months is a reasonable time frame.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:29:28 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

And the effects vary from engine to engine. My Sears snowblower with a Tecumseh engine fouls in just a few months, even with stabilizer. All the other small engines, eg lawn mower, string trimmer, go for longer, year after year, with no problem. Lawn mower sits from mid Dec to April, never a problem.
On 9/4/14, 9:29 AM, Danny D. wrote:

bought about 1983 will be hard to start. Then I'll find that the mixture is either too lean or too rich. I may have to take the carburetor apart and use a q-tip to remove gunk from a screen. For some reason, when I get it running, a tiny bit of Sea Foam in the tank will clear up problems. I haven't figured out what's in Sea Foam that will clean a carburetor.
For decades, I've been mixing my 2-cycle fuel in a pint- or quart-sized soda bottle. It was sitting around too long if I mixed a gallon. In a soda bottle, I can see that the oil is fully mixed. If the bottom is clear, I can see any water-ethanol. Best of all, it's sealed, so it can't pick up moisture.
The fuel tank on the brush cutter is another matter. I find it best to leave it nearly empty. If fuel can absorb a certain amount of water per gallon, less fuel will absorb less water.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:49:07 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

That's then opinion of my small engine repairman also.

My 2013 brush cutter give me prob with the fuel one year later.. I had been careful with the fuel but it still happened. Even after draining the fuel tank and running engine until carb used what was in it there still was enough left in carb to cause prob. I believe that if they had put in an external drain on the bowl it would have not have happened. Called Briggs & Stratton and they agreed. They said on my model,only solution was to dismantle carb and take of prob.

Great idea... thanks .. I will try that... chain saw fuel going bad has always been a prob since they they started this alcohol additive to gasoline.
On 9/5/14, 5:22 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:

what Hoffbro and Troybuilt called it. It's a string trimmer with a couple of optional steel blades. It has a 2-cycle Wisconsin Robin engine and a carburetor the size of an ice cube.

outdoors, just in case.

Clean, Lubricate,Examine, Feel, and Tighten.
Nice and easy to remember

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Then it just falls apart, not break, LOL!
J Burns wrote:

I'm not a big believer in snake oil but Sea Foam is one product I've had success with.