Gas Water Heater (WH) Pilot

I live in an area where we get high winds. The slope of my roof, combined with the wind will often extinguish the WH pilot light.

Is there anthing I can install, ala some vent block, that will keep our WH pilot lit. I am sick of restarting it, often as my wife is waiting (not so patiently) to take a warm shower?

Reply to
Rob_Lowe

You can buy backdraft dampers. They go on the end of the flue to block the wind. No experience with them so I don't know how well they work, but they are readily available.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Is your vent(chimney} as high as the peak of your roof? If not it can cause more problem. Also see if you can adjust pilot flame size.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The vent is maybe 12- 14 iches from the roof peak. The pilot is most ofter extinguished, when the wind is perpendicular to the roof slope. I susoect that that wind, flowing directly up the roof, tends to then flow down the vent tube - killing the pilot. I do not see where one can adjust the pilot flame size. If I can find the HW manual, I will see if that is an option?

I was unaware of the damper, previously noted by Ed (this thread). I will also look into that option.

Reply to
Rob_Lowe

Hi, If it is higher than peak 12-14 in. That is OK. Some times there is a hole on the main gas valve and in there is a small screw you can turn to adjust the flame size. Usually it is covered with a small clip on plug. Our WH is equipped with Piezo lighter, no pilot flame. For over 10 years never had any problem. Another option may be to try different style vent cap.

Reply to
Tony Hwang