gas water heater venting

I just replaced a 14 year water heater with a new one. The vent on the old is a 6" 90 degree pipe with an interior heavy metal pipe. This pipe was fastened directly to the old tank top and vented through the wall. The new tank has a 4 leg cone-shaped metal support which I cannot get the old vent to fit properly. The tank is very close to an exterior wall. The new tank is a GE Rheem and the guy at Home Depot said that in a month this model will be replaced with one with a motorized forced air vent, but that does not do me any good right now. The owners manual on the water tank does not describe the proper venting configuration. Taking the old pipe to a metal worker to have it resized is my only option? Is there a web site that shows/describes the safe and proper way to vent a gas water heater?
Phisherman wrote:

I think you have a problem. The new heater has a "draft hood" or "draft diverter" and is intended for venting into a chimney (or tall flue pipe). It will not work properly merely venting out a side wall.
http://energyoutlet.com/res/waterheat/backdraft.html shows some pics.
Lots of GOOGLE hits: http://www.google.com/search?q=water+heater+venting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start &sa=N
Jim
Phisherman wrote:

I don't think you can safely vent the heater you have to the vent you are trying to use. While HD may not have the right heater, they are available.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Thanks to all that responded. I cut the vent tube to fit the new heater, secured it with sheet metal screws and installed a CO detector nearby. I tested the input draft area with a burning stick of incense to see that the smoke enters the vent tube.

Might I suggest that you get another CO unit.. and put it where you are normally, and install it at the correct height, and location...if this units in the basement, a CO detector wont do you much good down there.