gas water heater timer

Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas water heater?

Reply to
Gary

Yes, but you would save very, very, very little money, unless you only ran it a few hours a week.

Reply to
Bob

I think it's worth doing on a power vent because the cost of the timer is so low. You can buy a plug-in timer for ~ $10.

Leave the heater off overnight and during daytime periods you are away (for someone who works and house is vacant).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What about doubling or tripling the insulation, that would cut stand by losses dramatically.

although the heater will not be actively using gas during off hours, when the timer turns back on the heater will have to warm up the water.

thats why insulation might be a better investment

dont obstruct any air vents

Reply to
hallerb

Most of the newer ones already have spray foam insulation. Depending on the water temp and basement temp, turning them off during the day might not save much. If the basement is cold, using those insulating blankets can trap moisture.

Reply to
Bob

Depends. First, where is the heater located? If it is in space that you want to heat anyway in the winter, the heat is not lost, it is distributed through the living space and saves on the central heater. In the summer, that heat will either be lost or you will pay to remove it with the AC.

How often does the burner run when no water is being used? Keep an eye on that and see just what it takes to maintain the temperature during periods of non-use. Most units are well insulated today and the loss in minimal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Good heater has already good insulatiuon. As far as I know I never saw heater firing up when hot water is not used. Our heater is located in the insulated basement utility room with gas furnace, water softener. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Good heater has already good insulatiuon. As far as I know I never saw heater firing up when hot water is not used. Our heater is located in the insulated basement utility room with gas furnace, water softener. Tony

then a timer will save nothing. but run up your electric bill a tiny amount for the timer

I had a hopt water tank fail as I was leaving for a 2 day trip. Leak was at the top. I turned off the water and left.

2 days later I returned and the water was still hot enough for a shower. I turned the water back on and let it leak.

tank insulation has really got good.

Reply to
hallerb