Gas water heater safety

I am thinking of replacing my electric water heater with a gas heater. The heater is in my basement. How safe are these? I'd hate to have my house blow up because of a gas leak in the basement :-p

Reply to
Ook

I think it was "Ook" who stated:

They're very dangerous. I've never had anything but gas water heaters in my 32 years of home ownership, and none of them has had any problems . . . yet. But it could happen any time!

Get it installed by someone who knows what they're doing and don't worry about it, would be my advice . . . .

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

Do you have any gas appliances in your house now? The odds of your house blowing up because of a gas appliance in the basement is about as great as your house blowing up because of a gas appliance in your kitchen.

If you d> I am thinking of replacing my electric water heater with a gas heater. The

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are many millions of them around the world. Yes, every year there is a house that has a fire from a gas leak, but there are also people electrocuted and killed falling down the steps.

Proper installation and it is trouble free. As in any household, you don't want flammable chemicals in the basement that can leak and get fumes to a gas or oil fired appliance. Or an electric spark.

My present house does not have gas available, but I'd have it in a second if possible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've owned a house for 27years that has a gas water heater installed in a small basement (really just a furnace / water vault)

No problems yet.....I'll bet gas water heater installations in garages are more dangerous because of gasoline & other flammables.

Some states do not require the 18" off the floor installation for water heaters in garages.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Anecdotally, there are a shitload of these things installed, and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone dying from something attributed directly to a gas water heater. Gas leak explosions, you hear about from time to time, you do hear of carbon monoxide fatalities as well.

If you already have gas appliances in your house, so long as you follow recommendations of maintenance, have professional installation by a qualified plumber, they're no more dangerous than any other relatively small output gas appliance.

On a related note, starting a few days ago, it's now state law in IL to have a CO detector within 15 feet of every bedroom in a house that uses fossil fuel for heating, cooking or hot water heating. This should underscore that CO detectors in sleeping quarter are something folks are taking very seriously.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

very safe if theres no chimney hanbdy you will need a forced vent thru wall model and 120 volts for exhaust fan.

you will save money gas heating is nearly always cheaper than electric plus recovery will be awesome.

its wonderful provided gas is available at your home

Reply to
hallerb

Nobody is dumb enough to ask a question like this, so it is not a particularly good troll. But I have to ask, why would you be jerk like this?

Reply to
Bewildered

A small leak in the basement is not a likely problem for a natural gas device. Natural gas rises and will flow out of the basement. The basement is a problem for small leaks of propane gas as it is heavier than air and tends to collect in the basement until it gets enough to light off.

Overall gas has a very good safety record and nearly all problems are the result of poor (non-code) instillation or maintenance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

check if you can get OFF PEAK electric serivce in your area....

the cost of OFF PEAK electricity can be competetive with gas

Mark

Reply to
Mark

well then your limited to making hot water at off peak times........

Reply to
hallerb

On a related note: Are tankless water heaters significantly more/less safe than the regular ones.

Ook wrote:

Reply to
bubbabubbs

On a related note: Are tankless water heaters significantly more/less safe than the regular ones.

Ook wrote:

Reply to
bubbabubbs

Guessing they'd be close, if not a bit less safe. On one hand, there's not a big tank surface area to leak, on the other it's still got a water supply connected to it. The big difference I'd have t othink is that, when they're on they burn a shitload of gas--extremely high output, and also need a lot of combustion air. I might guess that it'd be a lot easier for someone to screw up the installation of a tankless heater versus the ole tried and true tanks, for a number of reasons.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

tankless robably less safe, large gas supply with connection to power supply.

plus regulaR TANKS HAVE BEEN TIME TESTED FOR GENERATIONS unlike the newer tankless........

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks to all that responded. I do have gas - gas furnace in basement, and gas stove in kitchen. I seldom use the gas furnace (wood heat :) ). My water heater is several years old, and located at the opposite corner of the basement from the bathroom. I want to install a gas water heater next to the gas furnace, which is under the bathroom, so that there is quick hot water to the bathroom. Right now, the kids go to the kitchen to wash their hand because they are tired of waiting for the water to get hot.

Are there any issues with gas volume delivery for when all three applicances are on - gas oven, gas heater, gas stove? I think there is a one inch flex pipe feeding gas into the basement from the meter. Is that big enough?

Reply to
Ook

probably not big enough, do you hve a flue for venting the tank?

you can add a RECURCILATING PUMP to the hot line from the tank to provide instant hot water if you want, if the existing location is more convenient otherwise

Reply to
hallerb

Sounds like the typical residential size. It should be able to handle it, but do a Google search and you can find out better what is needed for each and the total feed.

Edwin Pawlowski