Gas water heater question

Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from the bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Your on line, right? Damn dude...

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q! When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't seen one....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:OrT6h.529$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.lga...

Your supposed to click a link and investigate, stay and read a while. ;o)

Ahhhh,,, you've never investigated a GAS water heater then.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Apparently, you haven't either, as it seems you'd rather make smarta$$ remarks than to answer the question (or even post links to sites that answer it).

Like this one...

Yes, I went there. No, it doesn't show a 3" tube from the bottom to the top.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What you're describing sounds like a flame guard system.

Reply to
Terry

I've had a few dozen GAS water heaters and I've never had a tube like the OP described. Do tell.......

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

No idea what it is. The tube is about 180 from the gas control. Comes out the bottom of the heater where the gas burner is, travels up the rear of the tank, then merges into a flat stamped steel assembly that takes it to the flue. The tube is painted white, so it doesn't get hot. Unless it's double walled?? Before I posted here, -zero, I searched the web and found nothing. Apparently you thought the tube was inside the heater and I have X-Ray vision:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Zero musta been lookin w/ the astigmatic bad eye. Hey zero, try the good eye next time. moron.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

It should be a Direct Vent Balance Flue design, something like this one

jolt

Sorry Big Al, I walked right over the "across the top" part. A conventional 30 gallon gas Hot Water Heater HAS a 3" tube through the heater from the bottom through the top, and serves as the vent. Again, my bad. After reading what I posted it does read quite assholeish. I WAS grinning when I wrote it. I should have put a smiley. 8-(

-zero

Reply to
-zero

What's the purpose of this design?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

No not X-ray. Try this.

Does it look like this?

Reply to
Terry

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:Cr47h.65$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.lga...

Pulls outdoor air so it could be used in tight areas or where air quality (flammable or corrosive) is a concern.

Reply to
jolt

All except for the top and the blower. His has no blower. I called him to see if he could find a brand name on it, but he's in California on vacation:(

Al

Reply to
Big Al

This is it. At least as far as I remember it. Thanks.

Al

Reply to
Big Al