Gas water heater question

Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from the bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?
Al

Your on line, right? Damn dude...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how%2Bwater%2Bheaters%2Bwork
-zero
Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q! When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't seen one....
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Your supposed to click a link and investigate, stay and read a while. ;o)

Ahhhh,,, you've never investigated a GAS water heater then.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/water-heater1.htm
-zero

Apparently, you haven't either, as it seems you'd rather make smarta$$ remarks than to answer the question (or even post links to sites that answer it).
Like this one...

Yes, I went there. No, it doesn't show a 3" tube from the bottom to the top.
--
Regards,
Zero musta been lookin w/ the astigmatic bad eye. Hey zero, try the good eye next time. moron.

"-zero" <notreal_zero_@notreal_zero_.com> wrote in message
What you're describing sounds like a flame guard system.

the

out
the
double
All except for the top and the blower. His has no blower. I called him to see if he could find a brand name on it, but he's in California on vacation:(
Al

It should be a Direct Vent Balance Flue design, something like this one
http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp?cat=WH&cls=RES&prod N040&ln=RGBF#
What's the purpose of this design?
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
message

Pulls outdoor air so it could be used in tight areas or where air quality (flammable or corrosive) is a concern.

This is it. At least as far as I remember it. Thanks.
Al