Gas water heater capacity

Page 3 of 3

On Aug 25, 11:17�am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

much electric power is generated by burning oil or natural gas, electric costs are going up, just a little delay..........
electric is generally accepted as costing more than natural gas, oil, and even coal.
On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:59:55a, told us...

I remember back in the 1950s in Cleveland, a popular ad by the gas utility company was for an "AUI-40", which mean an automatic, underfired, insulated, 40-gallon tank. It seemed at the time that a 40-gallon tank was what most people had.
Years later, when I built a new home, we had an 80-gallon tank installed because we had to Jacuzzi tubs in the bathrooms.
Here in central Arizona where in now live, we have only a 30-gallon tank because the incoming water is never very cold, in fact, usually on the warm side, especially in summer. It's an electric tank.

--
Wayne Boatwright

On Aug 24, 2:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: In part: Quote:

I agree those are completely valid points. And anything that 'burns' fuel, be it oil, gas, wood etc. loses heat 'up the chimney' or 'out the vent'! That is a factor of 'it's efficiency.
1) The heat lost from the surface of the hot water unit MAY help to heat the house, in winter. Our 40 gal electric is in the almost completely below ground basement and away from outside walls. Foam insulated it doesn't seem to lose much heat anyway.
2) In this climate we do not need or install AC. There are maybe? 3 days a year when it might be usable. But as trad says if it were factor at all it could 'work against' the AC.
It's good though to see that these points are being mentioned and evaluated, in context.
In a similar way that my neighbour has, almost blindly, replaced most/ all his light bulbs with CFLs. They do use less electricity. But since he heats his house electrically, for here, at least 8 months of the year, his average monthly electrcity bill has hardly, if at all, changed. And one is not recommended to use CFLs in anything that is switched on and off frequently. So that includes his motion sensor lights.
"RepairNovice" wrote

Ah, having rented before to others, this may be an agent issue vice owner? Do you have contact with the owner?
Although I would have been happy to get emails from my renters if there was an issue, they never availed themselves of that option. I am unsure if the 40G tank was sufficient for their needs for example. There were 2 adults and 3 kids here. It's one thing to adjust a 20 min heat cycle with just 3 people and totally another with 5.

Odd. Something wrong and I bet the house owner wants to know this.

They cost about what tank types do but are supposed to be more efficient in actual heating if the house has a smaller hot water draw. I pay to keep the water hot for example, vice a fast 'heat on demand'.
Be sure to check with the owner if you want to convert. You may be required to 'retrovert' back before leaving as the sort you speak of is seldom useful when there are many people who need hot water. Savings seem to degrade to make them more expensive if you have alot of folks who need hot water.