Gas water heater

I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any opinions. J. Simmons

Reply to
Jack Simmons

ever check the anode?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The average life of a gas water heater is 10 years. Yes, some last longer. But after 10 years you are playing Russian roulette with a 2nd floor install.

I would replace it with a top brand. I would also install an alarm to detect leakage or overflow. And set the heater in a pan with discharge to outside or a drain. (Oh, oh....the freezing discharge thread again!)

Even consider an alarm with a solenoid shut off valve.

I don't think any measure is too extreme in a case like this.

Plan "B": Move the heater.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Tanks last longer with soft water and proper maintenance. On average expect them to last 15 years, although 25 years is not unusual. Cheap insurance: Place a water tank appliance pan underneath and connect a drain hose/pipe to the outside. When/if it leaks might save yourself a mess. Ice maker lines and laundry hoses can cause unexpected flood damage too.

Reply to
Phisherman

My last water heater lasted 9 years before rusting out and starting to leak.

Reply to
tom

Their life varies greatly. There are a number of factors.

  • Local water conditions. I believe this is the largest factor. This is why it is good to ask you neighbors how long theirs have lasted. If you live in a development where all the homes are about the same age, then they are all likely to go out about the same time. They will also likely be the same make and model. If you start seeing your neighbors replacing their WH then I would do mine.
  • The temperature you set. Higher temp means shorter life.
  • The volume of water heated, more heating less life.
  • Softened or conditioned water going in ... This could be a plus or minus depending on the conditions.
  • Maintenance. Depending on the area periodic draining and or replacement of the anode rod can extend the life.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Going on 18 years here. A lot of the life at least for the outside depends on the environment it's in. Mine is in my humidity controlled basement and I wipe it down every few months so at least on the outside it looks brand new. It doesn't creek or grown or pop while it's heating the water so I would assume the insides are ok. Plus it seems to still have the same capacity for hot water as it did in 1990 when I installed it. The make and model is a Sears Kenmore Power Miser 5, 50 gallon.

Reply to
Meat Plow

outside shell is meainngless, what matters is the tanks inside.power miser 5 means 5 year warranty.

electric tanks last much longer than gas fired ones.

Reply to
hallerb

As some one else said proper sizing and draing will help 10 to 14 possible after 10 you could be on borrowed time why the hell did someone put in attic this is the propely the worst spot for it never mind what I would charge for doing it. Move to basement or cuboard if you are in slab.

Reply to
jim

Thanks to all for the info. and advice.

Reply to
jsimmons88

Yep, it's a shame that some people can't understand *why* you don't expose them to freezing temperatures. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro