Gas Water Heater

I recently bought a house with a gas water heater and am getting odd results. Sometimes, i have plenty of hot water, other times, i can only get luke warm water. It is not due to other sources of water consuption. The variablity holds true even when the dishwater, washining maching, etc. has not been in use (first thing in the morning, for instance). Is this normal for gas water heaters? What could cause this variable amount of hot water?
Tim
snipped-for-privacy@fortytwosoftware.com wrote:

No, it's not normal. My first thought is a defective thermostat, that's allowing the water to cool off too much before it ignites the burner. If you run the hot water while the burner is on, or shortly after it shuts off, you get really hot water -- run it long after the burner has shut off, and all you get is luke-warm water.
--
Regards,
no it shouldnt do that. try rotating the control all around both ways stopping at a setting slightly higher than currently/
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Interesting aside: I recently put out a water heater for "heavy trash" pickup, but the urban faries beat the city to it. I guess they'll take it to a scrap metal salvage yard.
Which is okay by me, re-use or reclaiming is better than dumping.
I, too, make the rounds of the neighborhood the night before heavy-trash pickup. My prize score is a military 5-gallon jerry can. Excellent condition. What's nifty about it is the legend on the bottom:
"3A - Sep 1944"
Which I take to mean, 3rd Army, September 1944.
My can helped Patton liberate Bastonge.
===="What do you do when you catch a monkey hanging by its tail?" Answering his own question, he replied "You cut off its balls, and that is what I am going to do with von Rundstedt." - G.S. Patton

I have a friend with a OLD original cast iron hot water heater in her basement. It MUST be a collectible its ornate and decorated but no longer in service

Does the thing still have the dip tube? It's a $5 plastic tube that goes inside the tank on the cold water side, carrying the cold water all the way to the bottom. Heat rises, and this helps separate the hot and cold water. You'll have to disconnect the cold water pipe at the top of the heater to find out.
There is a dip tube defect in water heaters from the early 90's: "The water heater was manufactured between 1993 and 1996. The stamped-on code on the data plate should include the year." The company which made all the dip tubes was sold and the new owners changed the formula. Re: http://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/departments/pw/water/diptube.htm The symptom is gel like goo or white particles on your aerator screens. Installing a new dip tube solves the problem. Richard

Oh.. and drain all the goo out of the bottom of the tank, like gray jello. richard