gas vs electric water heater energy cost.

I'm working on a unit where I could use either natural gas or electric for the water heater. I see various energy cost comparisons where the gas unit appears to operate at somewhat less cost. The water heater would be within the living space (1st floor) and a flue for the gas unit would run vertically through the roof. In thinking about energy cost calculations for colder climates, does any of the analyses take into consideration the cold air coming down the flue vent into the living space, and also the cost of consuming heated air from the living space for the combustion? thanks bill

Yes, they usually consider gas a X% efficiency. The lost part is going up the flue. There are a few exceptions, but for most of us, gas is much cheaper than electric for the same use. You may find it easy to do some of the calculations for comparison here. http://www.hearth.com/fuelcalc/findoil.html
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

If you live in an area were the electricity is mostly generated by nukes and coal, then electric might be cheaper in the long run than gas. Espically at today's prices and or if you expect a natural gas shortage this winter.