Gas vs. Electric Dryer

Right, this clinches it.

Please don't feed the troll, everyone.

Reply to
Jonathan Kamens

The sad thing is that this is not a unique accident for Chicago. A few years ago, I had a friend who was severly injured in a similar porch collapse with an almost identical situation (although there were no fatalities). The City Building Department is well-aware of the problem and attempts to control construction quality through permits and building code enforcement. It is not 100% clear whether the porch was up to code in this most recent situation, but common sense should rule if you find yourself in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I think that the physical integrity of the platform that those young people were standing on was probably the last thing on their minds...

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Usually only with smaller houses though. Most of the time, they do not reach all of the way around.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: I have preferences. You have biases. He/She has prejudices.

Reply to
Gene Wirchenko

Not to mention hydroelectric.

Reply to
samfredjoe

You can figure an average of at least 300 pounds per American.

Reply to
samfredjoe

The "typical" amount long used by the FAA was 170 lbs. However, there have been crashes of the 19 seat commuter planes where the actual weight of the passengers was an issue. I fly small planes and have known of pilots who put a few big guys in the back seats of a small pane, and had the plane tip back and the tail hit the ground.

At the governmant weights there were nearly 12,000 lbs of people on that porch.

An airplane that is tailheavy can become unstable in flight, which could be more of an issue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Were they actually trying to get ready to fly?

Don't guess the pilots attempted to figure weight and balance on the aircraft then, huh?

Reply to
C. Massey

OK, got it. I misread as "Porsches are unsafe."

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Oh, Porches!

Well, thats different, very different!

Nevermind.

Reply to
Matt

Mersaydees are unsafe too ......

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Who the hell let Joel back in?

Reply to
C. Massey

Who let the dogs out?

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

dogs have dental practices?

Reply to
Robert Morien

How else would you get your canines fixed?

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

I ran a PEX extension off the black pipe line. Much cheaper and easier than using CSST and since PEX is non-conductive, I don't have to worry about ground loops.

Reply to
micky

Where is it that PEX is permitted for indoor natural gas use, connecting a dryer to natural gas?

Reply to
trader_4

AFAIK, PE pipe (not PEX) is allowed for underground gas lines only.

I use PEX for the air lines in my garage and shop but I'd never consider using it for gas.

PEX-AL-PEX is supposedly 100% air and gas tight and I believe that it is approved for compressed air use but I've never seen it listed as approved for natural gas.

I will graciously accept being wrong regarding any of the statements above.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

But it says this at thetooly.com:

Using PEX pipes for the gas line is suitable only for indoor use. But while processing these pipes indoors, we have to measure all the safety procedures like the interaction of PEX pipe with UV rays and heat.

Overall, PEX pipes are best, reliable, and durable for indoor, especially when using the PEX for natural gas.

Do not use PEX pipe in outdoor installation as it is not safe and is hazardous. The outdoor faces the difference in hot and cold weather, and the PEX pipes cannot bear the extreme weather conditions.

t the same time, the semi-permeable features of PEX can be hazardous in heavy rains as well. So, it is best if you use PEX pipes only for indoor purposes. In fact, PEX is only allowed to use in specific areas.

PEX pipes do not save themselves from UV rays that define you should not use the PEX pipes for the outdoor gas line. Direct interaction with UV rays leads the line to premature degradation, which is dangerous for gas fittings.

At the same time, it is also unable to bear extreme freezing weather. This is why PEX is recommended for indoor use only, and it is banned in some places.

We can?t deny that PEX is a preferable choice to use in different places as it is made of cross-linked, high-density polyethene. It is used in water pipe and cooling systems. Despite having so many benefits, there are some places where PEX is not allowed. That Includes:

Commercial Areas Industrial Buildings Residential Areas California Some Local codes

Reply to
John Weiss

What qualifications does James Stuart have that should give me confidence in the information provided? Here's what he says on his website:

"The Personal Info It is likely that you want to know more about me. To be Formal, I am James Stuart, a guy like you. I have a cute (in my opinion) nickname also, Jimmy!

I am passionate about technological innovations and eating food. I get updates about the new inventions and try to tackle almost anything that is in my reach practically."

He's a "guy like you" (who is "you"?), he has a cute nickname, and he likes to eat.

Forgive me if I choose not to place the safety of my family in his hands.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson