gas trimmer

The IDC 520 gas trimmer I bought 10 years ago died. Over its life I've used it about 2 to three times a year only, some years even less. It is probably a simple problem like the iginition or something. But there is deep recessed machine screw with a stripped torx/flat combination head I cannot remove. So I guess I have to junk it. I'd say 10 year life span is acceptable for a gas trimmer.

With such infrequent use a trimmer is still needed in an American home and I hate an electric one with its long umbilical cord. My question is what do you guys recommend for a gas trimmer. I have a 1/3 acre yard. But it is irrelevant. Isn't it? It is how much one has to trim. I'd say about 150 ft or so. Maybe less.

Reply to
Yaofeng

You could try a cordless electric trimmer such as the Black & Decker Cordless Hedge Trimmer CHT500.

Reply to
Captain Ron

You should ask yourself how much you want to spend. With such infrequent use, even the cheapest of trimmers will last longer periods of time. They break because of use. If you keep some stabilizing in the tank with the gas/oil or if you just empty it, then you won't be putting bad mixture through the trimmer, which would be all you'd have to worry about with it being used so infrequently.

For the cost o a high quality trimmer such as a Stihl or a Shindawa you could buy 2 or 3 of the cheaper HomeLite/Ryobi/Troy Bilt trimmers and probably get just as much lifetime out of the 1 Stihl/Shindawa as you would

2 or 3 of the cheap brands.

I must have 500ft of fence to trim against, and then around trees and such, so I spend $250 for a quality Shindawa professional multi-tool, that cost included the trimmer head. For $100 I added an edger head. I'm a fan of multi-tools because they save me a lot of money since i have professional equipment and i only need to edge every other time, so I'm not changing heads every time I use the unit.

You can get similar multi-tools from Ryobi for $250 including both heads, if not less. They just will not last as long.

Reply to
Evan Mann

IMO: The most important thing about a trimmer is how i'ts made to hold it, and whether it will become uncomfortable before I'm done. I've got a cheapie right now with a snoulder strap that's very comfortable because it's balanced when you put the strap over your shoulder. Irritated the folks in the store when I kept playing with the display model and then wouldn't take a "better" one 'cause the one I was playing with was the last one they had. Long story short, I made them sell it to me but only got a 5% discount. So, POing the staff has its disadvantages.

Pop

its life

years even less.

something. But

torx/flat

junk it. I'd

American home

My question

1/3 acre

one has to

Reply to
Pop Rivet

i was skeptical of these things but my mom got one and loves it. the cordless are heavier than the corded ones, but lighter than a gas one.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Am I so far behind in the knowledge of cordless technology? I would never consider such a thang. Cordless trimmer? You're joking. Are you not? Having had a couple of cordless drills, my first question is not whether it does the job (that's my second question), but how much does the replacement battery cost when it dies in a year and a half.

I still trust an internal combution engine.

Reply to
Yaofeng

Let me see...

I already have a gas air compressor, gas chain saw, gas blower in addition to an electric blower and electric hedge trimmer. Not to mention the gas trimmer just died and gas lawn mower. No I am definitely not a fan of multi-tool anything and I am stubborn and biased.

Reply to
Yaofeng

I am cheap too. But not irritating. You win.

Reply to
Yaofeng

why did you post for help? are you just lonely? or just needing confirmation before you can act? you clearly arent taking any suggestions..

but to answer your question. yes you are that far out of the loop.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I was soliciting ideas for a GAS trimmer. Not an electric one. Certainly not a CORDLESS. I am sorry your suggestion was not being considered and your feeling was hurt.

Still my question stands. How much will the battery cost when it dies in a year and a half? I get 10 years out of a run-of-the-mill gas trimmer, no maintenance what-so-ever. When will a cordless battery last even five? The year 2025?

Reply to
Yaofeng

you trashed on the other two people who had suggestions about gas trimmers too. basically you posted, and trashed every answer you got. which is what brought us to this point.

if 18 months is all you are getting out of cordless tools that you plan to use " 2 to three times a year only" (your words) then im afraid it is you that is doing something wrong and not the tool. or maybe YOU are a tool and YOUR battery needs replacing.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You feeling really hurts that much? Poor baby....

Looks like I can get a straight answer out of you on cordless battery life and replacement cost. oh well...I am not buying one anyway so it's okay.

Is personal attacks really necessary?

Reply to
Yaofeng

I've got a older Stihl FS76 that has done a terrific job of keeping my

1/2 acre relatively tamed. It's built like a tank -- though certainly not as heavy -- and has been trouble-free. As long as I keep gas- conditioner in the stored gas, it starts every time.

It may be over-kill for the amount of trimming you have to do. But I've been very happy with the quality of the brand. BTW, I bought the Stihl after I wrapped my problematic Sears Weed Wacker around a tree when it failed to start for the last time. ;-)

Happy whacking, Joe

Reply to
Joe Doe

I have a "Weed Eater" with a Poulan engine. Used it for 14 years and it still works great. I have a half acre lot with a lot of trimming, including curb trimming. I hold the string vertically and walk backward.

Reply to
Phisherman

Bought a Stihl trimmer this week.

Dealer says premium gas only, and just mix what you need.

Said bad gas is their biggest problem by far.

Got a Stihl chain saw, never had a problem with it. Old gas or new. 2 or 3 pulls usually all it takes to start.

Lorence

Reply to
Lorence M

I am now tempted to get a Stihl or Shindaiwa even though it is overkill as you said. They are pretty steep in price, even used ones on Ebay.

Reply to
Yaofeng

I'd have to agree with ya there. I don't want anything to do with a piece of outdoor power equiptment unless it's gas powered.

My sister in-law has one of those cordless trimmers... I wasn't impressed at all. When it dies, you have to charge it up for a couple hours. When my gas trimmer dies, it takes 10 seconds to refill the gas tank ;-)

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell