Gas stove piping requirements

I have a propane gas stove. The propane enters the house with copper tubing, looks to be about 3/8" dia. The furnace is connected with this same copper and thats the only other appliance. The problem is that the kitchen stove gets moved for cleaning and the pipe has to bend. This is the second time in the past few years it started to leak where the compression fitting connects to the stove, which is connecting to 1/2" black pipe. First, should compression fittings be used or should they be flared? Second, would it be legal to connect the copper to black pipe at the floor, and run a regular flexible gas pipe to the stove, or would it be better to connect the flex pipe right to the copper with a valve in between. (the valve right now is right on the end of the black pipe on the stove, but the leak always occurs before it, which means shutting off the whole house. In the summer that is not a problem, but in winter that means no heat. (which is why I will not let the wife move the stove in winter).
I'm not too worried about code, this is a rural farm and no one will check. I AM worried about safety, not to mention getting tired of repairing this thing everytime the stove is moved.
Thanks
Randy

They do make a flexible gas line's for connecting commercial kitchen equipment. They get moved all the time for cleaning. I'm sure a good plumbing supply or a commercial kitchen supply can point you in the right direction. I have never done any gas lines with compression fitting, but codes can be deferent.
Flare fittings are generally either required or preferred for copper lines. Compression fittings are much more likely to leak, especially if moved, and I don't think are approved for gas lines anywhere. The shutoff should be as close to the floor or other entry point as practical. There are semiflexible connector lines made for gas but I don't think they are intended for flexing after installation. There are flexible connector lines for portable appliances but I don't know about cookstove use. As an aside, codes and inspections are really only intended to ensure a safe installation so installation to meet codes is very much a good thing. Regularly moving a gas cookstove for cleaning seems to me to be very undesirable. To be reasonably safe I think this would need rigid iron pipe to prevent any movement upstream of the cutoff as a minimum. Don Young

I appreciate the reply, but how would a person move a stove with solid pipe connected to it? We move the stove once or twice a year. That is pretty much the norm except for some "clean freaks" that probably move it weekly.
As for codes, this is farm country. Around here they really dont inspect things like this. As long as I match the national code I should be safe. I was mainly concerned about the compression fittings. The stove came with the house and that is what they used. Once I moved the stove I now have a leak at that fitting. I had to shut the gas off to the whole house. Of course this time of year I dont need the furnace so it's no biggie. Got the microwave for cooking too.
Randy

To move a solidly connected stove you turn off the cutoff at the floor and disconnect the flare connection. Move, clean, move back, re-connect, turn on the gas and relight the pilots if necessary. All with a minimum of flexing the gas line. I have actually never known anyone to regularly move a kitchen range just for cleaning . Bottom line is that you need the cutoff before the connection to be removed, and do not use compression fittings, especially if they are going to be moved. Don Young

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:14:58 -0500, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: Gas stove piping requirements randycurtis@ho_tma_il.com wrote:

How about a 3' flexible gas connecting hose between the gas cock and the stove?