Gas stove needs 1 larger burner

My 1992 GE gas stove has all 4 top burners the same size. I'd like to have 1 higher BTU burner (for stir-fry etc.) and 1 lower BTU burner (for very slow simmering) to replace 2 of the present burners. Has anyone tried to do this, with their gas stove? I assume the regulators get replaced too. Or do I have to get a whole new stove to get the different sizes of burners?

CC

Reply to
carolrcohen

It's 14 years old; isn't it about time for a new one anyway?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually, no. The stove was installed in my studio in 1992 as part of future plans to live there and rarely used until we downsized last year and moved into the studio from the suburbs. Now we're using that stove every day. In terms of hours of use, it's probably about 2 years old.

So, does anyone know if a bigger BTU burner retrofit is possible?

CC

Reply to
carolrcohen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... | |Doug Miller wrote: | |>

|> It's 14 years old; isn't it about time for a new one anyway?

The price GE charges for parts almost makes it worthwhile replacing the entire stove.

get the complete model number and go to the

go to repair parts. See what is listed for your stove. If you find it take down the part number and do a google search on that part number to find the cheapest source. Sometimes Sears is the best, sometimes you can do better.

Reply to
Steven Stone

Sounds like time for a new stove. I'd imagine the top would be different.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Any that I've seen are larger diameter and the stove top will have a larger cutout also. I don't think you will have much luck. Some brands also seem to have a problem with very low flame for simmering. Our Roper (about 20 years old) does not have that problem but the big high powered ranges are more prone to it from what I've read. Some even have a flame diffuser for simmering.

You may want to try asking on rec.food.equipment

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks to all of you, especially Edwin P. who told me about that other newsgroup which I hadn't known about, and which is full of useful info about BTU outputs, dedicated wok burners, etc.. CC

Reply to
carolrcohen