We have propane fireplace logs. They have been working well for several years.
They still appear to be working well. However, in the last few days, my wife and
I have noticed that there is a propane smell when the logs are running. The
flame looks normal, and the flame height and color appear normal. What's going
You should not smell any gas. You may have a leak some place in the unit.
If you only smell it when the logs are on, it is most likely after the gas
valve, but not any place that the leak is easily lit. Unless you know what
you are doing, call your propane company and have a service tech check it
out. Meantime, don't use them.
Propane does not have a smell. For obvious safety reasons a stinky odorant
is added to the propane. If you smell "propane" you have a leak. Leaking
propane gas plus a fire is likely to go BOOM sometime. Get someone to
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:58:16 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:
Even though the flame looks normal, the unit may need a simple cleaning. I
had the same thing happen with a NG fireplace. After I pulled out the logs
and brackets to get down to the good stuff I simply vacuumed the gas pipe
and air intake. It was back to normal in less than a half hour. While you
are at it put a wrench on every connection after the valve and see if any
are at all loose. Also look for any signs of rust. I once had a stainless
steel gas line develop a pinhole rust through.
I get a smell sometimes if the tank gets down to about 10% full or so.
But your first instinct should be that there is a leak and you should
call your gas company immediately. They would rather come out to find
that it is a false alarm than have to deal with your next-of-kin's
Has your CO/explosive gas alarm been going off? You do have one in
that room, right?
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is a non-vented unit, but we have the damper
cracked, so it is vented. My guess is that the tank is low. I'll check to see
when it was last filled. I was not aware that there was a "scent" that settles
to the bottom, but I remember smelling that with my 20LB cylinder.
Whoa, Bill. It puts out CO. In a space too small for the heater
it can be deadly. That's why most codes don't allow them in
Ranges put out CO, too. That's why they don't recommend heating your
house with your range. My range is in the room adjacent to my
ventless heater. The CO detector is 6 feet from the heater *away*
from the range. But the only time it has gone off is when I was
cooking on 4 burners and using the oven. the heater was not on. So
mine is apparently less dangerous than my range.
But they do put out CO.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.