gas smell from a plastic vent connected to the gas meter

It's methyl mercaptan, CH3SH, i.e. it is like methanol (CH3OH) with the oxygen atom replaced by a sulphur atom. For more information, try .

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Never assume that! I found a meter inside a home leaking 2 wks ago. I was there on a clean and check on 2 furnaces in the home. As soon as the customer opened the front door I could smell it. No big leak. I can just smell gas leaks very easily. Went and got my electronic and some bubbles. Found it at the bottom of the meter dial cover in the basement. Bubbles coming out at a slow steady rate. Called the gas company. He came while I was still there. He had a digital and bubbles. He found the same leaks and said, "Ah, thats nothing. This is an outside meter (but it was IN the home) and they will leak a small amount like that. Nothing to worry about". What the F(*$ !! I wasnt about to argue. I let him go. Called again. They sent out another guy. This one I knew. He came in, found the leak and said, "Yup, it leaks and needs to be changed. I'll be right back". He said the other guy was just stupid or lazy. He changed it and all is well now. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Kitep posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I ain't sniffin NO neighbors gas vent. If that's your kink fine - but it stinks to me...

Reply to
Tekkie®

You could Google it or simply use a dictionary if it were spelled correctly "mercaptan." Mercaptan is the general name for organic substances with a sulfur atom attached. Probably use ethyl mercaptan in natural gas.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon