Gas Range smelly gas problem.

Page 2 of 2

Irrelevant.
My question has been answered. A $200 replacement of the igniter is not going to resolve the leak. That is a separate issue. Most likely the valve in the oven, at least another $150. A new range from Sears is only $550. I'll buy a new one.

Russell wrote:

I would consider this a serious situation. I don't believe there is any way the igniter could be causing a leak. It should not take a pro long to discover and fix the leak. He should also be able to fix the slow start issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You are not qualified to repair that oven yourself. And if you have an electronic igniter problem, they are expensive to replace anyway.

but do

Does this thing have an igniter, or just a pilot light?

I've installed igniters in the past. It's not that big a deal.
I installed a 30 foot gas line for my barbecue in my last place. Inspector said I did a perfect job.

I recently replaced an electronic igniter in a forced-air furnace. It cost me about $150 for the materials.

oven,

I can get my igniter for 108$ CDN.

Get a new friggin stove, why don't you? Yours is obviously defective and you seem to cheap to have it fixed properly.

You're a village idiot.
Plonk.
It's my understanding that an igniter is something th at works after the gas valve is open -- ignites the gas.
Makes me wonder if one of the pilot lights has blown out. I'd suggest you look under the range drip pans, and also under the bottom pan of the oven.
I've got an old range and oven, sometimes one of the two pilots for the range blows out. I've got to lift the cooktop, and touch a match or lighter to it, to get it relit.
I'm not there to beep it, but that's my first guess. Gas smell is never a good thing -- needs to be fixed promply somehow. If it isn't a pilot out, might be a leaky connection some where. Then, you might consider calling an appliance guy who has a gas detector beeper to find the leak.
Let us know how it works out.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No pilots on this stove. All electric igniters.

I'm buying a new stove. I'm pretty sure it's the valve in the oven that is leaking. Even in the shop the igniter and the valve is about 300 bucks.