Gas Range smelly gas problem.

Page 1 of 2
I'm a long way from a repair guy, they charge 2 hours travel time. I have a gas leak in the oven. I know the igniter is bad because it takes a long time to light the oven, but do igniters leak gas I was told there is a valve in the oven as well that might be leaking. The stove is a Magic Chef in great shape but at least 12 years old. I would replace the igniter if I was pretty sure it was the cause of the leak. If I have to replace the valve as well I would probably replace the stove. I never use the broiler. Is it possible to use the broiler igniter in the oven?
Thanks for any pointers guys.
You're not telling us much. Does the gas leak all the time, or just when you try to turn on the oven? Your situation could be dangerous. Don't trivialize this.

All the time. In fact, according to neighbors, the previous owners used it like that for years.

Russell,
You have a continuous, dangerous situation. Turn off the gas at the main valve and call a qualified gas plumber or stove repairman. If you use gas for heating then move the family to a motel until this is fixed and hope that your pipes don't freeze before it is repaired.
Good luck, Dave M.

There is no gas leak now and hasn't been for weeks. The valve behind the stove is off.
I'm a bachelor and don't require the stove that much. I have a full size microwave/convention oven.

Why? There is a valve behind the stove already off.

No, travel time is charged at $120 on top of labor. And he will also charge me for the igniter EVEN if it doesn't fix the leak.
I can replace the igniter, no problem, but if that is not the cause of the leak then I'm out a $120 part. I need to know if an igniter can leak, or will I likely have to replace both the igniter and the valve in the oven. If an igniter can leak then I'll order one and install it. If both then I'll replace the stove.

An ignitor can't leak, it doesn't carry any gas.
A weak ignitor can cause a gas odor but only when you're trying to use the oven. It the odor is continuous and shutting off the gas valve behind the stove stops it then your problem is most likely between that shut-off valve and the stove. It's almost always the plumbing but you could have a leak within the stove itself. It can also be the shut-off valve itself when it's in the open position.

I will install that but NOT connect it to the stove. I'll cap the end to test the shutoff valve in the open position.
I do believe the leak is in the stove itself. Because when it was pulled away from the wall the gas smell still emanated from the oven, not behind the stove.
I may have no choice but to haul this sucker to a repair shop 50 miles away.

Just go buy a new gas range/oven or whatever. If you've got a drop-in range, then you have a big problem, like my family has, in that it seems to be irreplaceable. But at $120 per hour, you will have paid for a new oven, delivered and installed, very quickly. Any chance this is the landlord's problem?

Only if I sell the place.:)
I can haul it into town for a once over in a shop for free but it is a heavy slug. The $120 is for TWO hours of travel time, if the tech has to come to me. I know I need an igniter, but I'm not going to buy one if I also need the valve in the oven. Together they are too costly. A new stove is $800 plus.

So hire a hauler, equipped with truck and big muscles, and have him take your old oven to a repair guy. Reserve the right to dispose of the oven, if the cost of repairs is not sensible. Are you in a high-rise in New York City?? $120/hour? Can't you shop better than that? You are not qualified to fix this oven, personally.

I have a truck.

I'm in the middle of the wilds of BC, Canada. It's TWO HOURS travel time for a tech, ANY tech. =$120.

If you don't use it much, don't spend too much. Sear's has two standard clean models for $300 8 more for $400 or less. Self clean models are $600 and up.

A used stove is $300 minus If you're going to be a tightwad, be consistant about it.

Another village idiot. Is this group have a competition?
There isn't a used gas range for sale within 150 miles of me. I checked. In fact only ONE place within 150 miles of me sells them at all, IF they get them.

You can easily check for gas leaks in that stove by coating every connection with soapy water and watch for bubbles. Use a paint brush and start at the the shutoff valve, temporarily turning it on. Then go to each connection in turn, including the flex hose connectors, the regulator fittings, the burner valves, etc. It's easy and safe.
After all the wild advise you've been getting, you may simply find that you a a small gas leak in one of the fittings.
Doug
Russell,
If it's going to cost $120 in travel, plus parts, plus labor to fix the leak and replace the faulty igniter plus any other problems the guy notices during his visit then a new stove may make sense economically. You can determine if the broiler igniter can be used in the oven by looking up the part numbers on an on-line appliance parts web-site. Same part number indicates interchangeability. This will not fix the leak. You can hunt for the leak by using soapy water on all the joints and valves. I really think you should replace the stove or have a pro out. It sounds as if you've been using your stove while it is leaking gas. This may not be a good idea. I urge you strongly not to continue this practice. Have you thought about taking the stove into the shop rather than having the guy come out?
Dave M.

Not true at all. Stove has been off since 3 days after I bought the place.
Bought the place? And how long has this been? Doesn't your buyer-protection insurance cover your appliance repair/replacement costs for at least a year?

No. Private deal. And I happen to like the old folks who sold me the place.:) They couldn't smell the leak, neither could I until the place was closed up empty for two weeks before I moved in. Coming into the place empty the gas smell was obvious, but you had to have a good nose. My dad couldn't smell it either.:)
Their inability to smell the gas is irrelevant. And so is their status as nice old people. They sold you a defect, and they should make good on it, unless you waived your rights. This can be done politely. It happens all the time.