Gas range repair: advice wanted

GE gas range with sealed burners.

The front burners appear to have gotten clogged. Gas no longer flows freely though the stem. Gas also leaks a bit under the cover. I opened the cover and found a lot of cleaner residue around the burner assembly. I am guessing the tenant clogged it up over time by getting cleaners into the burner assembly itself. I think the gas is backing up though the air intake that mixes the gas with air before its ignited. I checked out the gas control valves and they seem to work fine.

Question: Is a burner assembly something that can be cleaned? Or do you just replace it?

Thanks in advance..

Matt

Reply to
Slumlord

On 11/24/2004 7:56 AM US(ET), Slumlord took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I do it on occasion. Just pull the burners out and use an old toothbrush and toothpick to clean out the orifices. Use a little liquid dishwasher soap on stubborn spots. Dry them thoroughly afterwards. Since water will remain in some of the orifices, you may get some orifices not producing a flame if the burner is not completely dry. Just leave the burner on until the heat dries up any water that might have remained behind.

Reply to
willshak

Hi,

Model# is ??....so we know what style of burners ( there are more than one ) your GE ranges has.

Probably, to a point.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Model: JGBS23WEW3WW Its the version with sealed burners, not the one with the open burners that are installed in pairs.

Reply to
Slumlord

Reply to
Phisherman

Sealed burners. No holes. There is a metal spout that come up that feeds into a 'burner disk' (which is fine). The problem is in the stuff below the range top. The gas is being restricted before it reaches the burner disk.

Reply to
Slumlord