Gas range lighters KO

On my Magic Chef gas cooktop (not free-standing) , 3 out of 5 automatic lighters no longer work. Have to light manually. Somebody must have been cleaning roughly and damaged the little ceramic ? thingie that sparks when turned on, so gas is no longer reaching that unit. At least that's the way gas co. man explained it.)

Is there an economical way to replace those 3 automatic lighters on the burners? Or the burners themselves? I can't get in too deep on repair$ the$e day $.

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

might be food crud in on burners.

i put my burner parts in the dishwasher every few months.

unless you can see the igniters are physically broke its probably spilled food

Reply to
bob haller

When mine dont work its because they are dirty, I wire brush them clean. Nothing is stopping the gas from reacing a unit

Reply to
ransley

Gas co man showed me that lighter is cracked; not dirty from food.

So about costs?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

About $30 per ignitor-

Long time *very happy* customer of repairclinic.com.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

This is the business I want to be in .... selling a part for $30 that costs me about 30 cents. I've had nothing but problems with ignitors, both in my house and in a motor home. If you try to adjust them by bending, they break .... $30 please. Off soapbox: Usually, there is a small gas hole near the actual spark. This can be plugged. During sparking, look at the spark. It should come from the top of the wire to the burner. If it is sparking in the ceramic area, it is probably cracked and needs to be replaced. Many times the wire comes loose under the burner so check that. For the motor home I found some cheap BBQ units. For $10 at Lowe's you get a bag with 2 ignitors and a high voltage push button unit. With a Dremel tool and a little time, I made the units work, probably better than when I bought the motor home new. But you do need to be mechanically handy. Also, I have found that the high voltage module is a problem many times. They typically have 4 outputs. If just one is not sparking properly, there will usually be another not working, which make trouble shooting very difficult. In the motor home the high voltage unit is run by human power, with 3 outputs. If this thing ever dies, I will replace it with separate pushbuttons for each of the 3 burners, the ones I have saved from the Lowe's purchase.

Reply to
Art Todesco

-snip-

So what is holding you back?

BTW- There may be 30cents worth of materials there-- but I'll bet that part cost repairclinc $15-20. Prove me wrong.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You're probably right. I guess what gets me is that, in my limited experience of 2 stoves and several new ignitors and electronic spark modules, none seem to work well. I'd spend $50 if they would work properly. None did.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks to all. I'm not mechanically adept enough to try purchasing and replacing ignitors. I'll just keep on lighting those 3 burners with one of those "match" lighters -- and grind my teeth about whoever ignored instructions to clean carefully around ignitors. Too bad they're so fragile.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

A wise man knows when not to piss off his wife.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon