Gas range dont always ignite

I have a gas range and the automatic igniter does not always click (spark). When it clicks, it lights, but half the time it does not click. This is on ALL 4 burners. What should I check? All tips appreciated. I'm not real familiar with them. (Yes, I am turning it to the correct position for lighting).
The range is a Lady Kenmore (I think it's about 6 to 8 years old) The rest of the range works fine. It's on propane, which does not really matter.
Thanks
Mark
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Buried somewhere (mine is the very back bottom right side) is the transformer that provides the high voltage for the spark. Chances are it is going out. It could also be a wiring problem, but I would guess that would not work sometimes and not others.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:03:49 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Thanks Joseph
I will see what I can find. I was wondering if there could be a problem with the *switch* that is supposed to start the spark, but since it's on ALL burners, I assume each has it's own. Guess I will have to just dig into it. Any idea what the voltage is coming from that transformer? I may be able to rip one out of an old stove that I am planning to the dump. (different brand, but if I can mount it, I would guess it would work, because that stove always lit).
Mark
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If it's similar to the Kitchenaid cooktop I am familar with each gas valve does indeed have its own switch but two spark gaps are each shared by two burners. With the same problem on all burners the switches are probably not to blame. The HV source is not a transformer per se but a spark generating module. It's similar to what is used on many gas furnaces except that those are usually 24 VAC in while the stove's probably runs directly on 120 VAC.
The one from the old stove will probably work just fine. Don't zap yourself.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I think calling it a transformer is not exactly the best term. I could not remember what the proper term was. It was called a spark modular and it cost me about $25.00 including tax. BTW I spent weeks trying to find a wiring diagram to try and pin down where it was and what other parts might cause the problem. When I finally got the part and figured I would just take things apart until I found it, I pulled the stove out and found the wiring diagram pasted to the back of the stove.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.