gas range burner grate

We have a GE monogram professional series range with a grille in the middle. There are two grates on either side each covering two burners (11"X22" size). These sit too high with the result the flames constantly reach the sides of the vessels and burn the plastic handle. Hence we always keep the flame too low and wait forever for cooking. We would like to replace them with grates that sit a little closer to the flame so that we won't keep burning the handles and also reduce the cooking time. Is it safe to do? I searched online and cannot find suitable replacement burner grates. Where would I look?

Reply to
SS

Odds are you won't find any grates like you want. Your best recourse may be to get cooking utensils that aren't designed as your present ones are, Quite likely, something of a professional design will not have the problems you are experiencing. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Just a guess, but I would suggest that the burners are too large for your pan. I can't see why having a "taller" grate would help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It won't help. You are using the wrong "vessels" for the size of the burners. Many basic cookbooks will explain this, and it's probably in your stove's instruction manual, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

SS-

I recently sold a house that had a restaurant style range.

The burners (flame pattern) were just too large for our "normal" pots & pans. The plastic handles suffered accordingly.

A larger diameter burner ring allows the flame to "curl" up around outside of the pot.

My guess it that you're not going to be able to "fix" the problem by making a grate change. :(

per Joe's response, plastic handle pots & pans do not fare to well with "pro-sized" burners.

You really need pots & pans with handles that can survive the heat.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Plastic and gas cooking don't mix. Go to a restaurant supply store and you will find the best pots and pans to use with your range. I highly recommend the Lincoln Wearever commercial line. It's relatively inexpensive, heavy guage, and incredibly durable.

I don't use this supplier, but this will let you see the pots and pans line up. In case you wonder, the blue or black handle covers are resistant to high heat and easily slip on and off the handles if so desired.

Dave Bugg

According to GE's website, you range has "reversible" grates. Turn the grates upside down.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, I got one of those also. (It is actually made by DCS, now part of Fischer-Paykel). It is a terrible problem. I wrap foil around any plastic handles, even on very large cookware.

Reply to
M Q

Hi

I observed the same with my stove and what I am thinking (just) that have a tuna fish can and cut the bottom and top , use this as a flame keeper or to narrow the flame based on the size of the can. Even have variety of these and use these accordingly based on the burner size, I will let you know if have done something on this. Satya

Reply to
satya911

replying to JoeSpareBedroom, XMN9576 wrote: We recently bought a new Bosch 800 series gas range and facing the same issue. Is just poor product engineering and design, I believe. I appreciate if someone provides me a solution besides using larger and flatter pots n pans.

Reply to
XMN9576