Gas powered water pump

Does anybody have any recommendations for a high capacity water pump which runs off gasoline? Honda and a number of other companies make 2 and 3 inch discharge pumps for draining swimming pools, flooded basements, construction sites, etc. They typically can handle 100 gallons per minute and up.

Many thanks.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

It really depends on what yoiu are pumping and how much you plan on using it. The most efficient is a "clear water" pump but it won't tolerate much debris. The other end of that scale is a diaphram mud pump that will move almost anything but not that efficiently. The other issue is duribility. A Briggs cast aluminum engine will probably be fine for occasional use but a pump used a lot needs a more substantial engine like the commercial Honda. That has low oil shutoff, steel sleeved cylinders and other stuff for heavy duty use.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for your reply!

I want to pump water and not any debris or sludge. The Honda impressed me a lot but is close to $500. There are much cheaper alternatives with the same pumping capacity, but I am reluctant to buy a cheapo unit and then regret it.

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others are garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy 2 of them for the price of a Honda......

Reply to
Smarty

the place I used to work only went through 3 wacker pumps with Honda engines in about 8 years. This is running 12 hours a day, seven days a week, during the watering season and not being allowed to cool off before shutdown. (we'd just let it run out of gas). The only drawback is the engine is proprietary to the pump and you can't buy a crankshaft for it when the bearings go out. We'd just buy a whole new pump. I think one would last forever in intermittent use and cooled off properly. (idled down for at least 5 minutes)

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

You get what you pay for. Honda may be a little overpriced but they have a good reputation. On the other hand if this is goinmg to be sitting in the garage most of the time you might never wear it out, even if it was a cheaper model. They are all hard to start and don't age well if you are not using them. Compare features and see what the price/performance point is for your use. Most folks do fine with something in the middle.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks to both of you for replying. My need are strictly for emergency backup with very light use so it sounds like the Honda may be overkill. I'll do some research and pick a cheaper pump given the big price difference and light duty service.

Many thanks,

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I think Briggs suggests oil change every 25 hours. In your case, that's every other day. I like Castrol for motor oil. On my last truck, that was the only oil that quieted the rod knock for more than two days after an oil change.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't mention a bogus and stratton. Wouldn't have one up my ass.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

You prefer a Tecumseh for that application? ;-)

Reply to
krw

What a painful thought.............

Reply to
Smarty

Unfortunately, I have to recommend the jap honda. I haven't found a pump with a kohler on it, and they are the only american small engine worth having.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Steve,

The Kawasaki also comes from Japan and is about half the price of the Honda. Any thoughts?

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty