Gas power washer from Lowes

I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe twic e. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired. Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Deodiaus

Don't know what you consider cleaning the carburetor but from the symptoms it sounds as if it's starving for fuel. That suggests that you haven't completely cleaned out the carb.

Five years old, used twice. Did you completely drain the gas from it after each use? Run it dry? How long does it have to sit before it will start up again?

Before giving up on it, I'd suggest a product called "Start Your Engines" (available in Farm & Fleet, Menard's, etc) or just some carburetor cleaner. Mix either one in with a small amount of FRESH gasoline (after completely draining the tank) and let it sit for a hour or so. Start it up. Should start and you'll get a fair amount of white smoke (No, they did NOT elect a new Pope). If it continues to run, let it run dry to work all the chemical through the system. Refill with fresh gas treated with a good fuel stabilizer and DON'T leave it sit for months or years with gasoline in it, regardless of what you use as stabilizer.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds late r. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't kno w if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.

Many carbs also have welch plugs, which are essentially little curved metal disks that seal off internal passages. To properly clean those, you need to remove them, use carb cleaner, air gun, etc. Then you need new plugs. You can get a rebuild kit, them have them on Ebay among other places. For $12 or so you get all the seals, welch plugs, new needle valves, etc.

Another issue is if after cleaning it the adjustments were reset to original position, or factory default, etc. But given the symptoms and how carbs are a major source of problems due to getting fouled, the carb would be my first suspicion too.

Reply to
trader_4

No one in this thread mentioned checking the fuel filter, fuel line, and there is often a very fine screen inside the gas tank where the fuel line connects.

Replace the filter, blow air thru the fuel line, and make sure that screen is clean. Then make sure the gas is fresh by dumping the old and refilling with fresh gas.

Also be sure the gas cap vent is venting. (try running it with the cap loose).

If the giovernor is not working, you can manually push the throttle, but dont push it too far or you might damage the engine.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan