Gas pool heater

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing. However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Checked for actual spark, as opposed to just the message?

Reply to
trader_4

No, I figured that the click was the spark, although there was only one. How do that?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

I guess you can follow the wire going to the ignitor, locate the spark gap and look for a spark. Night time would be best. It's a pool heater, doesn't get used all the time, likely outside, something getting into where the spark gap is, rust, insect could do it. I thought most gas things used hot surfact type ignitors, but you did say there was a spark message. Either way, finding what's going on with the ignition would be one place to look.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

I used to have a gas furnace with a spark igniter. It would spark every second for about a minute.

BTW, for some reason the new furnace uses a hot surface igniter instead.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd