Gas pool heater

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing. However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance. Any suggestions?
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:50:30 PM UTC-5, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:37:09 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Checked for actual spark, as opposed to just the message?
On 5/9/16 9:47 PM, trader_4 wrote:

How do that?
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 1:03:06 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

I guess you can follow the wire going to the ignitor, locate the spark gap and look for a spark. Night time would be best. It's a pool heater, doesn't get used all the time, likely outside, something getting into where the spark gap is, rust, insect could do it. I thought most gas things used hot surfact type ignitors, but you did say there was a spark message. Either way, finding what's going on with the ignition would be one place to look.
On 05/10/2016 12:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
[snip]

I used to have a gas furnace with a spark igniter. It would spark every second for about a minute.
BTW, for some reason the new furnace uses a hot surface igniter instead.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/