Gas Pipes

My main line from the gas meter enters the house with a 1" flex conduit connected to a union, then a reducer to 3/4" black pipe which splits to two legs extending in opposite direction in my basement. They eventually meet in one area, but connect to differing areas. One 3/4" leg extends to my boiler and Ts off to my garage. The other leg extends to my water heater, my dryer and a capped off pipe in case I want to install a gas stove. If you were to see the cluster of pipes, especially as they meet in one area, it looks like a bad roller coaster design. Therefore, I wanted to remove the two 3/4" legs and run one 1" leg and teeing off to each area creating a more pleasing look and eliminating misc. run on pipes.

Anyone see a problem with going to 1" black pipe?

Reply to
Meanie

if it ain't broken, why fix it? to make your basement look nicer? do you spend a lot of time down there admiring the view?

Reply to
chaniarts

LOL...yea, I know. In preparation of having my furnace installed, I removed my drop ceiling and realized what a mess it was above with unneeded wires and pipes. Removing the pipes from my boiler/base boards and rearranging wires really made it look nice and roomy, which made me want to do the pipes. You're correct, it isn't broke but that neatness anal retentive desire makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

Reply to
Meanie

I'd make it as simple as possible - and I'd use black pipe wherever possible as it is neat and durable.

Reply to
clare

A single 1" is equivalent to the two 3/4" in capacity accounting for pressure drop/friction loss over the same distance so it's adequate from that standpoint.

Unless there's a point that's closer to the larger feed that is going to have a larger demand I don't see much to gain, however, in reality. Unless it's actually obstructing something or somehow preventing use of an area or somesuch, that is.

If they're going to opposite locations, it would seem there would be no actual reduction in run length and running a larger (therefore more expensive) pipe in lieu of existing ones. If there's really some jungle of fittings I might consider cleaning it up if I came up w/ significantly fewer connections in the end, but I don't think I'd re-pipe just for the sake of saying I had unless there were a real problem.

Reply to
dpb

I had a gas pipe installed. The guy put in 1 inch to 4 t's each with it's own valve. I added another t and valve. Problem is, I have to move the valve set because it's in my way. Work for me later.

Has the op split the 3/4 or the 1 inch ??

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'd suggest that you call your local building department, and ignore anything you read on this list. Except me, you can trust me.

.

Anyone see a problem with going to 1" black pipe?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which would you trust more, you or Jesus? (Assuming he's not a plumber) = ;O)

Reply to
Guv Bob