Gas Oven Troubleshooting

I'm ready to trash this 14-year old Whirlpool gas oven/range if I can't fix the oven. Turning on the oven (or when the set temperature drops) the glow plug shines brightly (and for more than 10 minutes) without the jets igniting nor any gas smell. Tapping the valve or jets will often cause the oven to light properly. The oven heats to the proper temperature set on the dial then the jets automatically turn off as they should. I changed out the valve but the behavior is the same. So, to roast a chicken, I need to tap the valve every 8-10 minutes to cause the jets to re-ignite until the roasting completes. Any troubleshooting ideas? I have a volt sensor and VOM (if that helps). Thanks
Phisherman wrote:

temperature
is
Hi,
Kinda -sounds- like a weak oven ignitor. Usuing an amp meter is usually the best way to check it.
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow Yes, your glow bar igniter can glow red and still be bad! jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
On 18 Jan 2005 20:26:19 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"

The http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow explains it well. I hooked up an ammeter to one of the wires going to the gas valve and it indicated a very low amperage. After replacing the Norton igniter (glow plug), my oven works as it should. For sure, an igniter can glow red and still be bad. You've saved me the cost of a new oven and you are invited over for a feast. Many Thanks!!!
Phisherman wrote:

it
and
Hi,