Gas Oven on Tappen Stove Ignition Problem

I have a gas Tappen range, about 6 years old that sometimes makes a "boom sound" when the oven lights. It has a glow type igniter. Self cleaning oven. Spark type ignition for the burners. They all light correctly. Part of the time it lights quietly and part of time it makes a mild to loud boom when it lights. Seems to take longer to light when that happens also. There is a residual smell of gas in the oven after lighting with a boom or loud pop. After initial lighting of oven, the continuing on and off of the oven to maintain the set temperature for cooking is quiet. I have had the local gas company look at the oven and it never happened while he was here. The repairman said that possibly it was caused by cobwebs in the orifices. Does not seem likely to me as the oven is used at least once or twice a week and the area around the stove is kept clean. Any thoughts from anyone on this problem or how to diagnose what may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any information. CC
try to move the ceramic ignitor closer to the burner and also clean the burner orifices near the ignitor. the ceramic breaks easy so be careful.
candice

Hi,
Never hurts to try the simple stuff first, cleaning the burner and burner ports is a place to start for delayed ignition....if it checks ok the glow bar ignitor is probably weak and needs replacing. If the ignitor is weak we often get a wiff of gas, delayed ignition, quiting part way through cooking, etc...
No mention of a model#....with a model# ( http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html ) you can check on the oven ignitor glow coil... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&PA
jeff.
Delayed gas ignition in the oven and delayed releasing of gas into the oven is most often caused by a 'weak' oven ignitor on a hot surface (glow coil) oven ignition system. And yes, they can glow and still be defective.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Tappan+gas+range
=~~~~~~
C Cole wrote in message ...

Howdy! I am no expert on gas appliances but being a homeowner and handyman for over 40 years.It sound to me like you have a very slow gas leak in the oven,which could account for the boom sound the first time the burner ignites but not the the other times the burner ignites. I have experienced similiar problems in a furnace,caused by mis-ilignment of the pilot.