Gas oven burner not working

A friend has a kitchen gas range and oven and the burner for the oven stopped working. The top range burners all work, and the broiler gas burner works. But, just the oven burner is not working. There's no smell of gas. There is no pilot light -- it has electronic ignition. Sorry, I don't know the make and model number.

Anyone happen to know what might be the problem? I'm trying to decide between calling an appliance repair person out to fix it or just buying a new one. If it's probably something simple that can easily be replaced, I'll go the repair person route.

Thanks.

Reply to
cai3100

You need a board put in.

Reply to
Godof7s

Make and model please ?

Is possibly just a clogged pilot or faulty ignitor.

Reply to
marks542004

I just found out by phone that it's a GE but she couldn't find where the model number is. And, since it has electronic ignition, I was thinking that the electronic ignition might be the problem. I didn't know they were called igniters, but I started thinking maybe there is an igniter for each burner and the one for the oven burner isn't working. And, I assume if the igniter isn't working it automatically doesn't allow gas to flow through.

But, the good news is that an appliance repair person I know is on his way there later this afternoon and I'm sure he'll figure it out. I'll post back here what it turns out to be.

Thanks.

Reply to
cai3100

Of course, I'm tempted to ask what kind of wood the board should be made of -- pine, redwood, etc. :-)

I didn't know gas ranges had a main computer board that controls everything.

I just found out by phone that it's a GE but she couldn't find where the model number is.

But, the good news is that an appliance repair person I know is on his way there later this afternoon and I'm sure he'll figure it out. I'll post back here what it turns out to be.

Thanks.

Reply to
cai3100

The number will be inside the door on the edge of the unit or on the front of the unit when the storage/broiler is opened depending on the unit.

I would check the temp. probe that controllers the oven. It should read about 1100 ohms when at room temp.

I just had this happen to me and everyone said it was the board so I spent the $150 for the board and had the same problem did some more checking and someone said check the temp probe and that was it. $39 dollar part!

So if you have a meter you can start where I wish I would have.

Rich

Reply to
Rich
061218 1421 - snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Would that be a 2 X 4, 2 X 6, or...

Reply to
indago

Reply to
buffalobill
10-to1 it's the ingnitor. That is generally the part that goes out in what is called 'electronic ignition'. The cost of the part can very ($50-$100), but it is fairly easy to replace.

Reply to
Mark

Excellent website. Thanks.

I tried their repair forums and went to:

and the first item described the same problem but with a KitchenAid range.

Reply to
cai3100

It turned out to be a General Electric model GEXL44.

Yep, the repair person is replacing the ignitor.

Reply to
cai3100

Yep, that was it. The repair person charged $140 total to fix it.

Reply to
cai3100