Gas or Electric Heat?

Page 1 of 2

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric? I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up well.
My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It depends where you live. If you live in the northeast, typically gas is always cheaper.

Why do you have 5 space heaters? It sounds like your furnace is not blowing enough heat to each area.

If its 3 years old, chances are it is efficient. The guide is just that, a guide. It sounds like you might have to adjust the registers to get the rooms warm, or maybe your windows are old or maybe you don't have enough insulation. More info needed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Depends on relative rates between electric and natural gas.
I suspect that most places gas is cheaper to run.
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Here (northern California), gas wins.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
spake thus:

Gas is infinitely cheaper in western Washington.
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"
Lot of different factors to consider but all things being equal a heat pump is cheaper than gas.

http://www.thehvacmedic.com - All the free heating and air answers you want!

In most places, gas is cheaper by far. Not knowing your rates, no one can say for sure. Most of New England is 15 or more for electric making it very expensive.
Go here: http://www.warmair.net/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm and plug in the numbers to see what the differences are. I avoid electric heat here as it is about 60% more than oil.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

In my area gas heat is lower in cost. For most folks once you have gas heat, nothing else is better! A gas furnace costs more up front, but saves in the long run. I might choose electric if I planned on selling the house soon.
much electric is made by burning gas to turn generators, this makes electric cost more its a added step, with added expenses and mark up
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Electric always costs more. The heat at the power company turns into electric and you are turning that electricity back in to heat. It's not efficient.

At 7 cents per KWH or less electric heat may well be cheaper than NG, oil and for sure propane.
And yes that rate is available.
Colbyt
Thanks guys.
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"

WHERE????
Doug

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06
base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH
Total electric is a little cheaper.
Colbyt

dont forget thesignificant cost to upgrade the service, plus to make such a change cost effective electrical must be significantly less.
otherwise the capital costs will prevent payback/.
lets imagine a existing 3 year old 80% GAS FURNACE
now imagine electic per btu is less....
after paying or a new service, and new furnace the difference must be a lot.......
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric? Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric generating plants?
Nuclear?
Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates... The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the country.
Doug

I am just a country boy so I'm not real sure. They haul a lot of coal over there to that there plant.
Coal is a fossil fuel of sorts isn't it?
Maybe it is an abundant supply and a short haul that makes it so cheap.
I think you can view the rates online at kuenergy.com
I know it hurts to see prices that cheap. Bourbon costs a lot more.
Colbyt
Doug wrote:

TVA grid-wide is roughly 60% fossil (coal-fired), 30% nuclear, and 10% hydro.
The Paradise Fossil Plant is nearest to C KY, so would be fair to assume most of his power is, in fact, from a coal-fired plant.
It's now been 5-6 years since I was last at Paradise when was supporting an R&D effort to evaluate a new type of on-line elemental analyzer to aid in their attempts at blending much higher percentages of western low-sulfur coal. I presume but don't have recent data that trend continues as well as adding scrubbers on at least one unit was in the works.
All the info on the TVA grid is available at
http://www.tva.gov/power/index.htm http://www.tva.gov/sites/sites_ie2.htm http://www.tva.gov/sites/paradise.htm
Doug wrote:

TVA grid-wide generation mix is roughly 60% fossil (coal), 30% nuclear, and 10% hydro.
Central KY would be closest to Paradise Fossil Plant so it's safe to assume most of Colby's power is generated there (by burning coal).
It's been about 5-6 years since last I was there, but at that time they were working very hard on blending coals to utilize far more western low-sulfur coal than had been. I was there in support of a R&D project to evaluate a new type of on-line elemental analyzer to hopefully use its data as part of the blending operation. I got tired of the travel after moving (Central City, KY, isn't the easiest place to get to from W KW :), despite being the home of the Everly Brothers), so left the follow-on of the project to a colleague at Kingston so consequently don't actually know how it turned out...of course, the local coal producers of KY and IL were not pleased by the proposed shift and at one time there was a major effort in state legislatures to require at least a certain fraction of local high-sulfur coals be used by TVA to support the local coal industry. Where that currently stands I also don't know...
Everything (and more, undoubtedly) than you wanted to know... :)
http://www.tva.gov/sites/sites_ie2.htm http://www.tva.gov/sites/paradise.htm
snipped-for-privacy@-SPAMBLOCK-lexkyweb.com says...

Kentucky has close to the lowest electric rates in the country.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
We pay almost 2x what you do for electricity.

Hmm, another reason to move to KY. ;-)
--
Keith