Gas or electric dryer?

Hi,

Used to be wider apart from one another but with recent increases in gas prices the electric dryer doesn't look as bad as it once did. Gas dryer usually will always be less to operate than electric dryers are from an energy use....but gas dryers cost more to purchase, more to repair and more to install. This might help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Doesn't your electric utility use gas to generate the electricity?

Reply to
HeyBub

I have an electric dryer that is probably older than I am (a Maytag DE606). It is no longer getting very hot so probably needs a new element. I changed it once a few years ago and it is not a job I wish to repeat (it's a real pita on these units). Last time it had broken near the middle and the broken end was grounding out on the cabinet allowing partial heat. The dryer also makes a lot of racket so probably has some shot bearings (it is 30+ years old after all)

Looking to replace it but wonder, in general, what is cheaper to operate, natural gas or electric? There is a gas hookup available. Electricity is pretty cheap in our area, about 7 cents a kWh, but the city is warning us to expect a 70% rate increase in the coming year. I have no clue what gas costs, I would probably need to check with the utility company or dig out a gas bill and check.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
J Kelly

Even if there's just one implies the utility is making a profit converting gas to electricity.

Probably the cheapest is a coal-fired clothes dryer.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not all do. Still lots of coal burners and oil burners around, not to mention nuclear.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was thinking fuel oil. But, you have to get the annual tune up, and change the nozzle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In most parts of the world, NG is considerably cheaper.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look at your utility bill for your gas per therm cost. You are at .07 kwh now a 70% increase brings you to .12 a kwh, and if taxes are added after it could be alot more. Im at .123 kwh and at apx 1.05 a therm NG. Electricity for me is Three times the cost of gas. Id say junk the electric as it is old and needs work and get a gas dryer that senses when clothes are dry and turns off the heat. You will notice a large drop in overall utilities.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
Phisherman

It is much easier to build a high output gas burner than to put very large electric heaters in the same space so you cold have more efficient drying. Given a choice, gas would be mine, 100% of the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks, Jeff. The prices aren't that much different to purchase, and the local dealer will install either one for the same price, except the additinal cost of the flexible gas line. Other than what you mentioned, any other disadvantages of gas? My wife is concerened about the possibility of a dyer fire. Is that a legitimate concern over the electric if we keep the lint cleaned out? We have gas heat and water heater and that doesn't seem to scare her.

Reply to
J Kelly

You can have a fire with electric or gas. Keep the ductwork and dryer clear from lint, insects, bird nests, etc. I suggest cleaning it at least twice a year, more if you do several laundry loads a week.

Reply to
Phisherman

thanks for the info guys, I think I'm sold on gas. With the poor management currently running our municipal utility I think rate increases are going to become the norm.

Reply to
J Kelly

Properly cared for, there is no more danger of a fire that with electric. The fires usually start in the vent from excessive lint buildup.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

Here in my area of South Louisiana they just built a Coal fired Electric power Generator plant which can be converted to Natural gas in about 30 seconds. The reason for going Coal was it could produce electricity at 8% cheaper rate than Natural gas. Everybodys electric bill dropped 8% or more in the area but anytime the plant has to go back to natural gas the rate goes back up 8%.

Plant Name and location.

CLECO Corp. [ Central Louisiana Electric Company -- Corperation ]

3 miles south of Eunice , Louisiana and other places

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:05:11 GMT "Stormin Mormon" posted:

With my isp, newsgroups are free.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Nothing to talk about.....> Gas.

Reply to
Robatoy

Can you power a natural gas dryer with news groups? If so, that's cheaper than electric.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1 watt = 3.412 BTU/hr 1 therm = 100000 BTU 1 therm = 29.31 kW-hr
Reply to
modervador