Gas-Oil Mix For Chainsaw Question ? (40 or 50:1 ?)

Hello:

Have just bought a new chainsaw, and see that they want a 40:1 oil-gas mix.

No big deal, but I have lots of already mixed 50:1 in the garage. Not too thrilled about having to start another new jug for just the chainsaw.

How critical is this ratio ?

Think it would be safe to use the 50:1 mix ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

If you used a good synthetic oil, the 50:1 should be OK. OTOH, adding a little oil to use during the first couple of hour run time is probably a good thing and won't harm your other engines.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would ask the chainsaw experts at this link....

Bill

Why don't you just add enough additional oil to bring the existing mix to 40:1?

Reply to
trader4

less oil less lubrication, no brainer to me.

Reply to
SQLit

I use to go crazy trying to maintain different gallon mixtures for all my power tools.

Someone suggested using "opti-2" that I picked up at my local lawnmower shop. It is a once out packet of goop that gets mixed with a gallon of gas. That mixture can then be used in ANY oil/gas mixture power tool regardless of the mixture that is called for. Many of the local landscapers use this product.

I have been using for a few years now without any problems at all.

Website is

Good luck.

PS-I have no financial connection with this company.

Reply to
ncartegna

I use to go crazy trying to maintain different gallon mixtures for all my power tools.

Someone suggested using "opti-2" that I picked up at my local lawnmower shop. It is a once out packet of goop that gets mixed with a gallon of gas. That mixture can then be used in ANY oil/gas mixture power tool regardless of the mixture that is called for. Many of the local landscapers use this product.

I have been using for a few years now without any problems at all.

Website is

Good luck.

PS-I have no financial connection with this company.

Reply to
ncartegna

Bob,

Using the wrong oil -gas mix will void your warranty but probably not damage your engine. I'd shift everything to 40:1 .

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

What he said. Has worked for multiple 2-stroke engines, including some that mfg. said required 16:1. Good quality synthetic oil, of course. Absolutely no problem encountered with piston/jug/rings, bottom end, over many hundreds of hours of full-power running.

barry

What who said????

Reply to
Retiredff

A more rich mix (lower n umber) is safe to run, but may foul the spark plug sooner. I use 32:1 in everything, and seems to work fine.

Just add a splash (half ounce per galon or so) of oil to your 50:1 jug to rich it up, and keep using it.

Leaner mix (100:1 or someth ing like that) with less oil risks damaging the engine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon