gas-oil mix

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:24:04 -0400, "David L. Martel"

That's pretty much what I do also. And I always buy Synthetic oil with the hope that it provides me some added measure of safety.
On 6/2/2013 11:24 AM, David L. Martel wrote:

you are exactly right, Dave. But i wasn't going to argue with the know it alls in the group. If you use too much oil, you will actually make the engine run hotter, because the oil is taking up space that would normally be occupied by gasoline molecules, hence a LEANER mixture. The Stihl man explained AND demonstrated (with electronic thermometers) this to us in a seminar.
--
Steve Barker
On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:00:18 -0500, Steve Barker

If you adjust the carb for the fuel you are running, the engine will NOT run leaner. And the oil is also a fuel - and a fuel of higher SG and density which, depending on the oil, also burns as part of the mixture if the mix is not TOO oil rich. So simply put - if you adjust the mixture to run with a particular blend and do not change blends, there is NO mixture problem.
On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:00:18 -0500, Steve Barker

Another thing - if you adjust for the oil blend you are using, the oil flowing through the engine absorbs some heat, carrying it away with the waste oil - and the extra oil protects the engine from seizing when the temperatures get high. In west africa all the Mopeds are running about 20:1 to prevent seizure - they smoke like fiends, but over half of them are pushing 40 years old and still running. They pop the head off every month or so and scrape the oily carbon off the piston and head with a wooden stick.
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:05:03 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"
Re: gas-oil mix:

That's a good idea I never thought of.

Hi, Likewise, I use one mix for weed whacker, chain saw, and snow blower using low ash high quality oil.
On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:

Why do you care?
You run your Poulan with 40:1 vs the 50:1 that they recommend.
Now you buy a Tanaka whose manual tells you to use 25:1 to 50:1 and you're going to drop 40:1 in - very nearly the middle of their sweet spot AND following their recommendation.
A bit early on Sunday for a troll to be out isn't it?

Depends a WHOLE lot on what oil you are using. An oil that is designed to be used at up to 100:1 might work well at 50:1, and not at 25:1, while an oil made to run at 25:1 may not be acceptable at 50:1 - or even 40:1.
If you use an oil designed for 50:1 at 40:1 you might bet a bit more smoke but it should be good for all 3 machines. The saw rund hard enough that deposits should not be a serious issue and the Tanaka obviously isn't fussy.

I mostly use 32-1 for my lawn boy, husqvarna, stihl, etc. I started using three blends, and a local small engine repair said I didn't have to. At one time, it was much the quality of the oil, and how well it mixed, that determined ratio. I think we started mixing 16-1 for an evenrude. You should not use water cooled engine oil in an air cooled, or so I'm told.
Greg
On 6/2/2013 8:02 AM, cj wrote:

No, if you use a name brand quality ash free oil, you can run EVERYTHING (yes including 16:1 lawnboys) at 50:1.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/3/2013 12:55 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

can you recommend a brand? not much choice @ home d
cj
On 6/3/2013 4:39 PM, cj wrote:

We use the Stihl oil. Mix 1 gallon of oil into 50 gallons of gas in a barrel once a week or so. I used the mercury quicksilver oil in the mix for 3 years until the stihl man threatened to void our warranties. I think he was just pissed I wasn't buying the oil from him. So I switched to the Stihl oil and bought it online.
--
Steve Barker