Gas mileage

Page 2 of 2
Mark wrote:

In which direction?

the direction i happen to be going in at the time. :)
in both directions....it CAN be done.
Mark
Mark wrote:

Sorta'...
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:14:38 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Just remember kids that lights that are synchronized for 35MPH are also synchronized for 70MPH.
I wonder if that's really true. Sounds logical.
HM

could
Perhaps sometimes but not always. Take for example a lights 35 miles apart that is to go green at one hour intervals. If you drove at 70 MPH you would be a half hour early at each light. That same analogy can be applied for shorter distances and shorter times.

I hate to see the fine on that ticket! Let alone whether or not you will have a license afterwards....
;-]
House Mouse wrote:

Of course it isn't true. It depends on how many sequences of off and on occur when going 35 and this depends on distance between lights. If light A turns green while Light B is red, and Light B turns green just before the car get there, typical of intown lights at every block, then the person going 70 mp has to stop at light B until a guy going 35 catches up. If light B turns green and then red twice in the time it takes a 35 mph car to get there, then it is sequenced for 70 mph also. Obviously, only even numbers of changes will sequence for 70 mph.

OK, then let's try 105 and see if that works. Any volunteers?
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:37:05 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Add in non-uniform spacing between lights, another direction, and then another dimension and see how easy it is to synchronize lights. Synchronization can be done, but it can't be perfect.
--
Keith

This morning I tried 55 and go 30 mpg, or two better than the 28 at 60. Nice, but I'm still going to drive at 70.Thee is not just the time factor, but it is UNSAFE to be on the highway at 55.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Even not considering other traffic it is unsafe IMO. Just trying to stay awake at a yawn producing 55 is hard.
Harry K
I've not taken any readings over a period of time. However, I do remember one time I was hauling through Ohio, on the way home from Indiana. It was a warm summer day, and I was running the AC here and there to take the edge off the heat. The MPG went from about 20 usual to about 17.
I didn't run the stats, how much more it cost, or how shorter was my range on the tank of gas. However, I do believe that if I was trying to escape Hurricane Katrena, I'd have been wise to leave the AC off. Too many people running out of gas. Don't want to be one of them.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

If some of these whiney ass indigent bus riders around here had their way, you'd have your legs amputated to the knees so you could drive a Miata.