Gas Meters

We got a new gas meter and it is readable remotely (the guy still comes around, but he waves a device at the meter). Does this imply that there's a battery in the new gas meters? Anyone know for sure?
-- Bobby G.

Don't know about te battery but they changed out the fronts on our gas meters to do that. I don't see how a battery can be involved.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:31:39 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

No batteries in mine. It is a 40GB transmitter, the truck drives by and sends a signal to the unit. Then data is sent to the receiver in the truck.

My comment should have read "No batteries in mine that I'm aware of".
The comment from Caesar Romano jogged my memory about "battery life was ten years". Oops.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:42:22 -0400, "Robert Green"

Our gas company installed one of those types of meters about a year ago. I asked the guy installing it, and he said that it did indeed have a battery in it. He said the projected battery life was ten years. We'll see.

On 6/22/2010 1:15 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:

Very likely it will happen. One of the reasons is the very clever design where practically no current is consumed until the transponder gets the interrogation from the reader. It responds and essentially turns itself off until next time.
wrote Re Gas Meters:

Sounds similar to the transponder use by EZ Pass and the like. I think they recall and replace them at 10 years or so.

I have one on my electric meter that they read 200 yards away from the meter. I wonder which side of the meter it's drawing power from?
KC

<I have one on my electric meter that they read 200 yards away from the meter. I wonder which side of the meter it's drawing power from?>
You wouldn't think the power company would cheat you and make you pay for your metering? (-:
I can see them stealing power from the incoming line for an electric meter, but I couldn't understand how the gas company got electrical power out of the gas line. (-: (mini gas turbine generator?)
I know that some RF systems can read passive foil tags but those are hardcoded and don't change daily like gas readings. I suppose Google might shed some light on exactly how remote metering works......Hmm, that turned out to be less informative than I hoped.
I had an issue where the meter stopped reading and they tried to charge me for "average use" even though we were away that winter and not using *any* gas for heating. It took filing a case with the PSC to get them to remove the charges once we proved the house was indeed unoccupied for the months they billed us for. They wanted close to $900 for "estimated seasonal use" compared to the actual draw of about $20 per month when we were away two winters before that for pilot lights and low idle water heat.
I'm worried they could pull the same trick on anyone at any time just by pulling the battery from the meter. I assume that doesn't make the gas flow stop but it may screw up the readings. The company said that it's typical for old meters to fail in that mode - to just stop reading. They tried to imply that the meter had been slow and underreporting for years and that I had been getting a break, but the lack of serious change in our monthly bill after they put in a new "remote read" meter put the lie to that claim, at least in this instance.
I suspect that they run all their customer's bills against a computer program designed to pick up on serious reductions in consumption. I wonder if they do the reverse - alert you if you're using too much gas. I doubt it.
Thanks again to all who replied!
-- Bobby G.