Gas Meter making strange noise?

You probably have a bad bearing in the wobbler shaft. I'll bet you haven't greased it in years, now have you?

Take it over to alt.home.repair where someone might actually give a shit.

Now SCOOT!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I've been noticing a strange low pitched noise/vibration in my home, that I was able to determine only is occuring when the gas water heater is firing. At first I could not determine where the noise was coming from at all, it sounds pretty non-directional. In the basement it sounded like it might be upstairs and visa versa. Finally I was able to hear the noise very loudly by the gas meter outside.

This appears to be the source of the noise, or more likely the circular regulator just before the meter. The noise then reverberates through the house via the black iron gas line that leads to the furnace & water heater. I suspect the noise will also occur when the furnace is operating, but that is still out of season.

Before I call the gas company [Keyspan Energy- New England], has anyone experienced this? Is it just a big annoyance or could it mean trouble. Also, is the gas company responsible for the equipment before and up to the meter if the meter is outsid ths house?

Thanks

Reply to
Brad

This guy doesn't know anything so he posts nonsensical posts. He doesn't even realize that the OP *did* include alt.home.repair in the groups. Oscar may pretend that he is a moderator but his juvenile ramblings are safely ignored.

Reply to
Jenna

We had a loud squeak coming from our gas meter and the gas company first replaced the regulator. When that didn't make a difference, they replaced the meter itself and that took care of it. The gas company....in this case PSE&G in NJ....took care of all of cost and replacement and I think it would be the same in your case.

Reply to
CAStinneford

Hey Jenna: Ignore THIS!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Gas company owns the meter. they will take care of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

Call the gas company.

The meter belongs to them and they fix or replace for nothing.

You have fluttering regulator as it sounds here. they will replace it and you good as new.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Call the gas co , it will be no charge.

Reply to
m Ransley

Definitely the call of the Darwinator(tm). Some, when they hear the call, turn up the radio so as not to be bothered. Are you one of the some?

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

the gas copany may have been working on the the line at one time causing air mixture in the lines . this could cause your problem.but do call the gas company

Reply to
Todd - Teresa Schaffer