Gas logs for f/p - vented or not?

I've got a 12x20 foot family room that already has gas logs in the fireplace. The fireplace is suburbia standard-issue... flush with the chimney brick and glass doors.
A few years ago we had an ice storm that knocked out power for almost there days. Despite having the fireplace going all that time, the temperature in the room never got above 55 deg. The fireplace damper was open, since the logs came with the house and I'm not sure if they are the vented kind or not.
I'd like to get a set of gas logs that will both look nice and actually put out usable heat. My question is which type -- I'm leaning towards veneted, but want to get a set that will not send most of the heat up the chimney. I've read where there is a partially-vented type. Has anyone had any experience with those?
Also, any brands to recommend?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I would never buy an unvented type. If they are not acceptable for a bedroom they are not acceptable for my house.
The best product out there energy wise is an insert with ceramic glass. If you decide to go with an insert, make sure it has ceramic glass and not tempered glass. Ceramic glass can take the heat and stays closed all the time. It has double walls internally and a fan that draws in air into a box separate from the combustion. We had gas logs before and we love the insert. Plus it is zero clearnance. Only disadvantage is that fan won't work when power goes down. You still get heat but no circulation. It lights without power with the flick of a switch but circulation won't have fan power. 2 stainless steel tubes go up the chimney. One for fresh air and the other for exhaust. No fumes get into the house. According to the literature, it is as efficient as some furnaces.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

have awakened every morning just fine (and we live in a very tight newer home). It's also been very economical. We use it as our main heat source. ======
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The fumes have caused you to have brain damage and be in denial.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

==>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

See-- that denial problem has you refusing to admit that the fumes from the fireplace are causing your problem!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Like a gas stove?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:10:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

Exactly like a gas stove. I have one. It has spark ignition and right above the stove is the exhaust fan that vents OUTSIDE. I dont run the stove without it. I dont heat with space heaters or Kerosene heaters either. Those homes smell like shit. Dont you remember going into your grandmas house years ago when she had a stove with 5 constantly burning pilots? Did you ever wonder why her house always smelled "funny/different"? That wasnt her pissed on bathroom floor you smelled. Bubba
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Current NC code requires a fresh air vent for your laundry room if you have a gas dryer. I am not sure about the gas stove.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I see that posted all the time. Why?
I have ventless. I have had them for 12 years now. I have 2 CO detectors in the same room as the fireplace and they have NEVER gone off. I don't get any off-smells either (except if I let the tank run out and then that is minimal).
The way I look at it, I'm getting almost 100% efficiency because all of the heat is staying in the house and not going up a chimney.
Not saying you are wrong. Just don't understand why people say it. If they were even SLIGHTLY dangerous, do you think companies would take the risk of selling them. ESPECIALLY in this sue-happy world we live in today?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:38:14 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Hey Doc, You might want to go to coexperts.com and you might understand why your CO detector doesnt alarm. I hope you also read the first two warning pages of your owners manual for your unvented appliance/s. Bubba
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Just because it doesnt alarm does not mean its safe. Use a digital read out unit and keep it visable, then learn about low level continous exposure. Vented logs is best.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So THAT'S why my penis fell off!!!!!
;-]
Hey! I never knew that. What the hell! Who reads the instructions anyway???
It does say not to install in a bedroom or bathroom (why a bathroom?). The room that it IS installed in is 24 X 30 and we usually never close off the rest of the house. We also never run it all night (just a couple hours in the evening). Maybe that is why we haven't had any problems.
I think I will start cracking a window.
All of a sudden I feel dizzy......
I'll pour myself another one....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

There are three types, vented, unvented, and direct vent.
Vented - most heat goes up the stack, you can get exchangers to try to extract some but they are not all that effective in my view.
Unvented - heat stays in the room but they deplete oxygen and create water vapor in the room, make your windows sweat and I don't think most codes allow them in rooms where you sleep.
Direct vent - uses outside combustion air so no oxygen depletion nor CO2 formation so no sweating, however this type has a permanently closed glass door when operating. Has good heating quality, but easiest and least costly installation is on an exterior wall.
For Vented I would recommend any of the brands made by Hargrove Manufacturing, only because I know the owners and they are good people. Don't know about unvented or direct vent.

Google the subject, you will learn a lot.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
for emergency use remember to open the kitchen window an inch or two and turn on the unvented natural gas oven with the oven door closed and battery operated CO detectors tested and working.
your existing fireplace may just be rated as decorative. vented natural gas heat is always required to avoid health problems including asthma. inserts are made in many different sizes, you'll want to get the largest BTU that will fit into the fireplace opening size.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.