gas limb pruner

-snip-

Here's my guess--

That photo is 'next week' for those 'bunches of grapes'.

Soft wood- good for lumber, and turning- but not much else.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Didn't understand this at first. Yes, the picture is after all the grapes have burst, which has pretty much happened in the last two days. Maybe cutting the branches from the trunk sped it up.

It's a cottonwood tree, which is a kind of poplar.

One page said it was hard wood but a soft kind. !!

Reply to
micky

Yup-- I'd say that too, though I don't remember the specifics of

*why*. In woodworking terms, yellow pine is soft-wood, though it is harder than poplar which is hard-wood.

It has been explained to me in the past-- but those brain cells seem to have disappeared.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

For what it's worth I have one of those little pruning chainsaws on a stick that attaches to the "universal" trimmer gas tools. Even came with a extension stick to make it longer. I've been satisfied with it.

Reply to
jamesgang

Yes, in the last few years, I now understand the expresson "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."

Reply to
micky

Do you need a power tool?

I've cut up a lot of small trees with just a hand saw, especially when they're green and soft.

Now that you can reach most of it, just get a ladder and a saw and start trimming.

It takes a long time and your time may be worth something. But on the other hand you're unlikely to hurt yourself with a handsaw, and that may not be true with a chain saw.

Oh, and really pay attention to that spring back thing. A friend of mine broke his back when he sawed off a limb end, and the rest of it jumped up when it was freed of the weight. Hit his ladder and knocked him off.

Reply to
TimR

green and soft.

hand you're unlikely to hurt yourself with a handsaw, and that may not be true with a chain saw.

his back when he sawed off a limb end, and the rest of it jumped up when it was freed of the weight. Hit his ladder and knocked him off.

Thanks. Because of your warning and others', I spent a lot of time picking which branches to cut off first, etc. and thinking about the position of the ladder,

A lot of it was 6 to 10" thick. I never would have finished with a hand saw.

P&M

Reply to
micky

I bought my 12" Remington pole saw from HF for about $70 several years ago. Lowes has a 10" for $100. Advantage is that it is a saw that detaches from the pole in a minute and can be used independent of the pole.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht