Gas leak emergency instructions

"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro, dude!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

RicodJour

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

R =================

If people don't have the good sense to put a lot of distance between themselves and their house-bomb, they need to be removed from the gene pool. It'll benefit everyone eventually.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. Plus, when I'm at home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table. If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example, I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. Plus, when I'm at home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table. If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example, I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton ================

When your house blows up, you might want that cell phone so you can call your insurance agent, whose number probably isn't in the cell phone anyway, but I'm just sayin'.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not really. I don't think the gas company wants to encourage people getting on the front porch and then standing there calling the gas company on their cell.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

How does a cell phone set off gas? It does not spark and it's totally enclosed. Somebody is full of it. I think you are confused with cell phone activated bombs which use either a bell or switch.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Did you hear a "whoosh" while you were reading my post...? I was playing on the whole "turn off your cell phone while filling up with gas" urban legend.

Next time I'll use a smiley. :)

RicodJour

When is the last time you saw sparks coming out of your cell phone?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

What if none of my neighbors are home?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When my house blows up, I'll call you first. ;)

The only numbers in my cell phone are my home number and my husband's cell phone. He's the only person with my cell number.

I'll call my insurance agent from my office. There's a phone book there.

Of course, it might take me a while to find my car keys. My car might be ok, depending on the size of the explosion. The house is concrete block with a very flimsy wooden roof, and the detached garage is also concrete block.

Or, possibly, I could just keep from having a gas leak. So far, so good. Millions of houses with natural gas have never blown up in--what--100 years?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Phone book? How quaint!

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the room comes straight down.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wow, that's astounding. Only three or four, here. If you count the lady who pushed her blue Onstar button, and the truck next to her blew up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We've taken the concept of compassion. And used it as a technique to harvest and flourish more idiots.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The time I threw it out the truck window at about 70 MPH, and it landed on cement?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When my house blows up, I'll call you first. ;)

The only numbers in my cell phone are my home number and my husband's cell phone. He's the only person with my cell number.

I'll call my insurance agent from my office. There's a phone book there.

Of course, it might take me a while to find my car keys. My car might be ok, depending on the size of the explosion. The house is concrete block with a very flimsy wooden roof, and the detached garage is also concrete block.

Or, possibly, I could just keep from having a gas leak. So far, so good. Millions of houses with natural gas have never blown up in--what--100 years?

Cindy Hamilton

You're assuming gas leaks are entirely under your control.

re:"Millions of houses with natural gas have never blown up in--what--100 years?", It's happened a little more recently than that.

And I had to wade through a bunch of google results to find the one I was looking for. Getting home from work that day sucked.

Joe

On the serious side...

2 years ago I came home from work to find my stepdaughter on the front porch in a panic. She tried to cook something on the gas stove. It boiled over and put out the flame. The house was about 10 minutes into the gas. To turn off the stove from the high setting it must pass through the electronic ignition. I ran and opened the kitchen door and windows and fanned the gas away the best I could, siad a quick hail Mary and turned it off. I was lucky that day.

I have never seen such an idiotic ignition setup in my life. If I had been a few minutes late it would have been a disaster.

Thomas.

Reply to
Thomas

That scenario used to be taught as the way manufactured gasses like propane behaved but experience has shown that is too simplistic a view. Too much depends on the concentration, point of ignition, construction type and quality, and more to make such blanket assertions.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

It's always there. It always works. I can usually look up something in the phone book faster than anybody can search online. It's the appropriate technology for finding local numbers.

Easier to find the keys that way, then.

I figure the most likely place for a substantial gas leak in my house is the basement. I'd probably smell it if the stove had a leak--until I become a feeble old lady and then I'd probably welcome a quick death in an explosion. Or, at least, I wouldn't be around later to regret it.

If I had the boilover situation described by Thomas, I'd scamper down the stairs. The shutoff for the stove is right there. And, I'm not the sort of cook who has boilovers or other irregularities.

If the gas company had a problem that my entire block went up... Well, sometimes people just die. My entire block is one- and two-acre lots, so that would minimize the collateral damage. I doubt many people on my block have natural gas; I know the neighbors on either side of me still use propane--I can see the tanks. Barely.

Really, if you go through life worrying about every little thing, you might as well just end it now.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

-snip-

Mine's a 4yr old Kenmore. Didn't realize it until I turned a burner on and didn't notice that it hadn't lit for a minute or so. Got some singed eyebrows when I instinctively just turned it off.

If there was even a .1 [.01?] second delay before the igniter started you could get past that when the burner is throwing gas in the room.

Seems like pilots & thermocouples were much safer- but I haven't seen any data that talks about more than singed hairs and rapid heartbeats as consequences.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht