GAS HOT WATER HEATERS

Page 1 of 2
We have a gas hot water heater that is leaking from the top of the water heater, possibly the outlet pipe area. Can someone please help us???!!! Do we need to get a new water heater or can this be checked by us in some way or another and a replacement part be purchased? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AS THIS IS AN URGENT MATTER!!!
THANKS!!
Get a NEW tank!!! Trying to fix a leaky connection will ONLY result in more leaks soon!
Sorry its time to get a NEW ONE!
Thanks so much. We pretty much expected this answer anyway but was just hoping!! Any suggestions on the cheapest stores (Lowes, Sears, etc.)

40 gal gas $320 last Friday at HD.

Do you really want cheapest ? Read this page:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com /
...and here:
http://www.thehomeinspector.com/Clients/DipTube.html
Even if you do not plan on living at this place for a long time, consider a longer lasting unit. Much cheaper in the long run.
Rich
Call them and ask. I suggest that you get one with a 9 year warranty which is the middle of the line and also is usually more efficient than the cheaper 6 year warranty heaters unless you are going to be moving in the next couple years. I believe Lowes/HD charge around $289 - $329 to install plus the price of the tank that can be anywhere from the mid $200 range and up depending on the capacity and quality/warranty. Some towns also will charge a building inspection fee to have a hot water heater replaced. Whoever you get make sure they will do all the work including delivering the new heater and hauling away the old one which I believe both HD and Lowes do. Most likely you are looking at least around $600 installed. --- Steve
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N00096 --- Lowes water heaters http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=InstServ/itm_plb_wh.html&rn=RightNavFiles/no.html --- Lowes installation.

Try a cool grand.
In October, paid 460 w/ tax for the 9-year heater at Home Depot. Another 400 to install, using their contractors. Plus 93 bucks for the permit.
http://www.mrwaterheater.com/gaswaterheaters /
They are a good company in pittsburgh, gas tank including standard installation abot 430 and up. note INCLUDING INSTALLATION!
Why would installation cost 400 bucks:(
I suggest shopping around!

I know some gals that don't make $400 for four hours of work.
$400 to install a hot water heater? Even if you have to sweat on new fittings, it's not rocket surgery.
Steve

Last week, mine was $320 at HD, and I installed it myself. I cannot imagine paying $400 to have a hot water heater installed. And pulling a permit?
Maybe it's just me.
Steve

They saw you coming.
you can cheat a little, assuming the tank has a cold water supply valve turn it OFF unless you are getting a bath. That way you can squeeze another day or so till the new tank is installed!
Turn on when bathing, off immediately after!! Its a temp fix, that I have used in the past:)
Yes, we've been cheating already with the cutting on and off. Kinda knew we needed a new one but was just hoping...Any ideas on the cheaptest store (Lowes, Sears, etc)

Our hot water heater sprung a similar leak on top around a rusty outlet valve. There was really no economical way of fixing it. We bought a new one from Home Depot, who had a subcontractor come out to take out the old one, and replace it with a new one.
The only major issue, besides the cost, is the size of the new hot water heater needs to fit safely in your current space. We tried to upgrade to a larger model, but the concrete block it would stand on was not large enough, so we had to stick with the original size.

Mine did this last Friday. Is there an epidemic? A conspiracy?
A water heater works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, you can fiddle with the heating elements, etc.
If it leaks, there's no plan B.
When you DO replace it, get the flex hoses that have fittings to make the job easier should you have to take it out again FOR ANY REASON. Put a pan under it if it is in an area where leakage would cause a problem. Run a drain from the pan.
If gas, check connections with Windex spray, looking for bubbles.
Do it once, do it right. A PITA, but no big deal.
Steve
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:43:33 -0800, "Steve B"
They do seem to break at the worst time. My last house one broke and was changed on Thanksgiving (lasted 10 or so years). This newer house the water heater broke the final day of a total master bath do-over.

It's a good time for a new 1/4 turn shut-off valve too.

.... I also check the vent draft with a match...
Flex lines dont last forever, I would replace them EVERY TIME the heater gets changed. espically gas flex pipes.
solid is actually better and less likely to leak

Where you at?
YOU MIIGHT be able to save some big bucks at Sears currently!
They are closing MOST of their sears service centers. Having a 30% off sale on everything in stock at these locations! CLOSING FREE STANDING SERVICE STORES ONLY
So if theres one near you it might pay to check it out.
locally home depot appears to have the best price, been looking at this for a buddy his 6 year guarantee tank is on year 13 and acting flakey. I am amazed its still usable. As a joke I tossed a cup of water underneath it the other day, Unfortunately his daughter caught me in the act and finked on me.
Try Sears. Got a Kenmore Power Miser 9 last week on clearance last week for $79.94. Floor model. Had some scratches, etc, but who cares. Went from $360 to 200 to $99, then 79.94.