Gas heater won't turn on

I have the same problem with our gas heater (Pyrox 625 - over 20 years old) not staying on even after holding down the red ignition button for over 20 minutes (!) It got gradually worse over time till now it never stays on.

This might be a silly question but is it necessary to turn off the gas to the heater before replacing the thermocouple?

thanks Simon

It does sound like the thermocouple sensor is bad. And if the unit is older and >this has never been changed there is a good chance this is it. Good news is they >are cheap and very easy to change out. I just did it for a neighbor a few months >ago on his water heater. You can imagine it saved him a few bucks in plumber >charges. > >Usualy they unscrew from the gas vavle with a small wrench. I would take it of >and take it with you to your supply or hardware type store and get a new one of >the same length. Replace it and get the other end in the flame area correctly >and give it a try. this is an easy job and you can't loose by trying. Infact if >it works you can win to the tune of $75.00 or so in plumbing and heating company >charges. Probably more than that. > > >David M. >Fresno, CA >Don't need no heater here :-)
Reply to
simon_nospam