Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

I went shopping this week to replace my old gas grill. For many years, I used a gas grill from Sears (small grill, low-cost) that used briquets that heated up and helped with the cooking.
Now, I can't find any grills that use briquets !! They seemed to have been replaced by a "vaporizer" , instead of briquets.
How does a vaporizer take the place of the briquets, or is this just a cheaper way for manufacturers to make a gas grill ?
Anyone have any comments or knowledge about this ?
I will appreciate any helpful comments.
Thanks !!
--James--

that
been
The vaporizer is just a better design IMO. There were several problems with the old lava rocks that were improved upon with the vaporizer. The biggest is flame ups. Flame ups were impossible to prevent with lava rocks. I remember many times when I would leave a steak on the grill only to come back in a few minutes and find a meteor where my steak used to be. With the vaporizer, flame ups are almost non-existent.

Interesting.. I assume you're talking about the inverted metal V's in the bottom of new grills. I laughed when I first saw them, because in 1985, after a few flame-ups in my new grill, I replaced the rocks with lengths of 1/2" steel angle, which fit nicely between the rock rack bars, V-side up. Enough grease flamed up to provide flavor, and the rest ran through into a jar.. I should have patented it..