Gas Grill Safety Questions

Edwin The OP asked for advice on the safety of propane grills used on a deck. All I tried to do was inform him and others that there are safer alternatives to using an ordinary portable propane grill on his deck. There are gas fired grills that are suitable for use at or in a dwelling. The main feature that those units have that the more common portable units do not have is that they have been designed to limit the fuel available to any fire that may occur in the course of using them. The laboratory listed fixed in place units are supplied by a remote supply of fuel that incorporates a remote shut off. The laboratory listed movable ones are designed to be for more difficult to tip over then the common outdoor variety and they will only except a smaller gas cylinder to limit the amount of fuel gas exposed to a cooking fire.

I'm at a loss as to why you object to my offering information on a safer choice to the OP and to other readers. What harm does my providing the information do and why does it bug you so much.

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Do you have a link to one of these grills? Let's see if they are a practical replacement for the millions of grills in use. Then the OP can decide for himself. Maybe you will convert the rest of us.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The OP asked about the safety of gas fired grills used on a deck. There are propane grills that are listed as cooking appliances for use in or on a structure. Like the propane range in your kitchen they have been tested by a nationally recognized testing laboratory for safety when used in or on a structure. They can be fueled with a remote supply of propane just the way your kitchen range is or, if it needs to be movable, then they have a connection for a portable cylinder that is configured to prevent the use of cylinders larger then 10 pounds. They look a lot like the more expensive portable outdoor types but they have been tested for use in structures. They are not the table top units that you have alluded to all though they are available as a built in counter top unit. They are the only propane fired grills that are tested for safe use in or on structures.