Gas Grill Safety Questions

Page 3 of 3

Edwin The OP asked for advice on the safety of propane grills used on a deck. All I tried to do was inform him and others that there are safer alternatives to using an ordinary portable propane grill on his deck. There are gas fired grills that are suitable for use at or in a dwelling. The main feature that those units have that the more common portable units do not have is that they have been designed to limit the fuel available to any fire that may occur in the course of using them. The laboratory listed fixed in place units are supplied by a remote supply of fuel that incorporates a remote shut off. The laboratory listed movable ones are designed to be for more difficult to tip over then the common outdoor variety and they will only except a smaller gas cylinder to limit the amount of fuel gas exposed to a cooking fire.
I'm at a loss as to why you object to my offering information on a safer choice to the OP and to other readers. What harm does my providing the information do and why does it bug you so much. -- Tom Horne
Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Do you have a link to one of these grills? Let's see if they are a practical replacement for the millions of grills in use. Then the OP can decide for himself. Maybe you will convert the rest of us.
On Fri, 18 May 2007 15:43:13 -0700, Tim Smith

Congratulations.
Not a grill but a car. My brother's car, a 1970 full-size Ford LTD, wouldn't start. It was in a one car garage he rented in Brooklyn. I tried it fix it, by checking if there was spark with one plug wire off, and by spraying ether (starting fluid) into the carburetor. Unfortunately, after getting nowhere with either of these techniques, I did both at the same time, while I had my head under the hood. BLAMMMMMM!!!!
Fortunately, I didn't move while this happened or I would have knocked my head on the hood and my neck on the metal edge of it. Not a lot of leeway, so I must not have moved at all.
But I looked at one valve cover, the one on my side, of the V-8 and it was ripped from the cylinder head. Of the 6 or 8 bolts holding the cover down, 3 or 4 were ripped sideways, to the inside as the top went up, so that the outer edge of the hole was broken out. And there were 2 or 3 places where the edge of the valve cover was lifted up between the bolts so the exploding gas could escape.
I guess the ether was sucked into the carb, the manifold and the cylinders, and then somehow pushed into the valve cover area, and when finally one of the right side cylinders ignited, it lit off the ether in the valve cover. I guess.
Couldn't buy a valve cover from the dealer, and no junk yards in NYCity, so I had to buy a pair of chrome covers at a speed shop. I only installed one, so it looked funny, but my brother doesn't care about stuff like that. I forget if I ever started the car or if he had to pay someone.

Exactly that. None.

;)