Gas grill rebuild

I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill. Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

Reply to
Andy

For the average grill, the burners get replaced many times before the grill gives out.

The sizes of the burners are somewhat standardized. You don't necessarily need the model number.

If you have the standard "H" shaped burner, just go out and buy a new one.

My grill is natural gas. I need one that's designed for natural gas, but otherwise, it's generic.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Usually cheaper to rebuild. Burners burn out and corrode over time and are easily replaced. Measure them or take a photo to the store with you to get the right ones.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Brinkman's should have stainless steel burners, so they shouldn't rust out...maybe take them out and clean them with oven cleaner and make sure all burner holes are open.

Reply to
bob_villa

bob_villa

If you are to the point of replacing parts, I'd buy a new grill.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

replace parts is cheap and ya never even have to leave your house

redid mine last year and it'll be good for another 5-10 yrs

Reply to
ChairMan

I've had my made in the USA aluminum-cast housing gas grill since the early 1990s and I'm not gonna give it up. The company that made it is long out of business (thanks to Al Dunlap) but I stockpiled replacement parts when I could get them, and now order them from Music City Metals in Nashville, who manufacture gas grill replacement parts. Check them out:

Moe DeLoughan

I'd say it depends on the condition of the whole thing, how old it is, and what the cost of the replacement parts are. Typically besides the burners, the flame spreader bars go too.

Reply to
trader_4

Whatever happened to lava rocks?

This spreader bar technology is bogus compared to good ol' lava rocks. I hadda cheapo bbq ('80s) that came with lava rocks, but not enough of them. With the single burner on max, the temp would barely get high enough to cook chicken parts. So, I doubled the amt of lava rocks. Usta be you could buy 'em anywhere. It worked! The lava rocks would absorb, then radiate, the accumulated heat. With twice the rocks, they would absorb twice the heat b4 radiating said heat to grillables. Now that Weber went all "spreader bars", lava rocks have all but disappeared from the shelves of big stores like Walmart (we have one of those).

Where can one buy lava rocks, anymore? I'm somewhat remote, so no Lowe's or HDs, here. Do ornamental rock vendors sell lava rock?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Lava rocks have fallen out of favor because they did just what they were advertised to do - smoke your food by heating fat droppings to a very high temperature which then smoked. That helped flavor the food, but some believe heating meat fat until it smokes creates cancer causing molecules that end up in you. I don't know how much of a problem that really is, but it is why you don't see many lava rocks in grills these days.

Reply to
Pat

no different than smoke from those bars.

I have my moms old gas grill with lava rocks, i have taken it apart and put many of the parts in my self cleaning oven on a short cleaning cycle, even the lava rocks.

my old gas grill bought early 80s works far better than new ones sold today. i am thinking of getting a old friend with a machineshop to make me a forever burner for it.

stanless comes in both magnetic, it rusts, and NON magnetic THAT NEVER RUSTS.

most gas grills made today are magneticstainless, they still rust but calling it stainless creates sales

i have replaced the burner perhaps 20 or more times over the years

Reply to
bob haller

I guess the theory is that withh rocks there is more area for the fat to hit compared to the flames spreader bars. But how much difference that really makes, who knows. Plus I thought the big issue with the possible carcinogens was from actually charring the meat, I don't recall hearing that the smoke was the main culprit.

I had a weber, bought long time ago. It lasted a long time, 10+ years When it finally went, I decided to try replacing it with one that cost less than half what a Weber would have cost. It's a Charmglow or Charmbroil, can't remember which. The theory was that if it lasts even half as long, then maybe it's a better value, you get a new grill sooner, etc. Well, it only lasted about 3 years before the burners and bars were shot. Even worse, and what I wasn't expecting, the heat distribution was very uneven. Weber was very uniform. So, bottom line is I think Weber is worth the higher price. But then I haven't bought one recently, so IDK if the Weber today is the same quality as ones from the past. Anyone have recent experience?

Also, the talk about lave rocks got me thinking. If you have a grill where the heat is uneven, I wonder if using rocks would even it out?

And on the smoke flavoring the meat from rocks, I saw a recent taste test of a bunch of the widely available burgers. Burger King won on flavor. And while BK isn't my typical choice for a burger, I have to say that there burgers do have a taste like they came off a charcoal grill. IDK how exactly they cook them, they say they are flame broiled. I recall years ago they had a conveyor that took them through a broiler. Whatever they are doing, it does give their burgers a different taste. But maybe they are putting some secret flavoring on it that's a factor too, IDK.

Reply to
trader_4

It did, in my case. This on an old '80s Char-Broil (is the name yer looking for) w/ lava rocks and a single long burner. We currently have a steel drum converted to an old style grill. Has some rocks, but not enough, which is the reason I was asking about them. Since no-one is still making lava rock grills, no longer see bags o' rocks on the grilling accessories shelf.

While they may taste good, I suspect the burger meat is less than top shelf. We usta get a Whopper Jr fer $1!. Came with real lettuce, real onion, and real tomato. Problems was, I got annoying indigestion within minutes of eating one. Finally, the price of a Jr went up to about $2.50 and then our local BK jes up and closed. According to the small local paper, the owner jes got tired of the entire mess and let his permit(?) expire. We lost our only KFC/TB franchise the same Summer (last). So much for the allegedly rebounding economy.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've never regretted purchasing a Weber Genesis Silver in 1994, when my charbroil rusted to pieces.

I've replaced the burners once, the flavoriser bars once, and the igniter once. And I still use it almost every day; I suspect it to last another 25 years. Noticed one at the curb the other day and snagged the rotisserie attachment for it.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's the spirit!!

Recycle that perfectly good hardware instead of tossing it and buying new. I jes shelved the idea of a new Hitachi impact/driver when my pro carpenter buddy gave me his older Hitachi 12V imp/drvr. Seems to work good enough for this old DIY geezer. I went out and tightened a buncha screws in my ancient deck. Sucker drove a 2-1/2" deck screw like it was made to. Love it! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ryobi drill/driver ($10@garage sald); Drill press ($20@GS); Corded Craftsman (USA made, $5@ReStore); Craftsman Sander/Polisher (USA $5@GS). Another satisfied geezer! (our wireless router $5 from Goodwill and re-flashed with DD-WRT)

Reply to
bob_villa

I use grill bricks - perforated ceramic bricks - and they help even things out quite a lot. In one corner of the grill, I arrange just a few with wide gaps between them, in order to have a hotter spot for quick browning/finishing.

Moe DeLoughan

Went through a few grills and finally bought a Vermont Castings and it was great. Until it rusted out at all the bolt holes in the porcelain coated parts.

Four years ago I bought a Weber Summit, stainless steel. Great so far. Wish I bought a Weber years ago.

I bought it from East Coast TV in New Jersey. It was $400 cheaper (delivered) than any of the local stores.

Amazon has it too, as well as others.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I replaced a burner.

But when lit, only the front 1/2 of the burner lights unless I manually light the back half.

What does the screen do in the front ?

I noticed that it can be adjusted to let in more air.

I have it set halfway open.

Would closing it force more gas to the back of the burner ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy