Gas Grill: No Lava Rock?

Quick Question: Just bought a new gas grill to replace my old clunker. They don't have any lava rocks? Just grill over the open flame. Is this standard practice now for the new ones? Come to think of it .. I have not seen lava rocks in the stores either?

Reply to
Jacque Asse

Gas grills from Weber have not had lava rocks for decades. They use v-shaped steel bars. No flare-ups with the steel bars. Some say less taste too; the fat & grease that collects in teh rocks also adds some smoke flavor.

Reply to
Bob M.

"Bob M." wrote

It does so on the bars, too, that's why they're called Flavorizer Bars. I bought new ones this year, so I will be starting over.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Ah yes...

"Flavorizer" bars...

I inherited a like-new(but not well kept - damp storage) Sunbeam gas grill last year and spent $39 on a new burner this year(my total investment so far).

I may get a universal grate & convert it to lava rocks. The "Flavorizer" bar/pan does not provide the even heat I'm used to, and a lot of juices run through and make a mess of the underside & tank.

I have some lava rocks still left over. Lowes had bags of them last week.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

They're called that to sell better. It's better than saying "we have v-shaped stainless steel bars". And, how does the fat & grease stick to the bars since it deflects and/or drips off of them to the bottom of the grill?

Reply to
Bob M.

"Bob M." wrote

It does stick to them. Over time they build up, rather like seasoning on cast iron. It's one reason I put off buying new ones, but when I opened the grill this year (no, I don't grill in the winter), they were eaten through after 11 years.

If all the fat that landed on the bars just ran through to the bottom, the little metal tray that catches it would be full, but it's not. I don't even have to change it during the summer, usually.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I suppose they claim second hand smoke, huh? Nowadays everythng causes cancer. I think the #1 cause of cancer are the idiots in congress !!!

Reply to
fisherman206

i think its because lava rock grills cost more, i believe they work better and keep fixing my old grill for that reason.....

Reply to
hallerb