Gas Generator Won't Start

Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy. It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is difficult to get it serviced.
My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've regained my patience, which is usually the next day.
I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to look at.
Thank you,
Karl
Pull out the spark plug and squirt a small amount of gas into the hole, replace the plug and try to start it. If it runs for a few seconds, it may be an indication that it's not getting fuel, in which case I would open the carburetor and see if the float is stuck,and clean it. If gas sits in the unit for any period of time it turns to jelly and things that should move get stuck, and small jets get clogged. Also be sure there isn't a low oil switch preventing it from running

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think you are saying that you are able to start it the next day so the fuel system must be working at that time.
If it doesn't start do you try without the choke? My thought is that you might be flooding it.
Sounds like the diaphragm in the carb is bad. It's easy to fix if you can get the part.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) says...

Go through the fuel system. Have you replaced the fuel filter? That's a cheap thing to try, and never hurts. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor to make sure you are getting fuel that far. If so, the carburetor is the next thing to service. Order a carburetor rebuild kit before you start, then dismantle it and give it a thorough cleaning.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy. It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is difficult to get it serviced.
My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've regained my patience, which is usually the next day.
I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to look at. _________________________________
First things first. Have you checked the air filter? If it is dirty, replace it if it the replaceable type, otherwise was it in water (not gasoline) and let it dry well before putting it back.
On 26 Nov 2006 12:32:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Clogged fuel line/filter?
I lost the original post however I wanted to mention that you may not need a choke in Kosovo because of the heat of the ambient air. You may be flooding it.

Pull the plug after it stalls. Is it wet? If so, use less choke.
If not, try squirting a little gas into the carb after it stalls. Does it restart then? If so, you have a fuel supply problem. Filter, float, water in fuel, etc.
Bob
Good advice.

Sounds flooded. Try starting it with the choke open.
If it fails to start again, unscrew the spark plug and see if it's wet looking, and smells like gasoline.
Also please take the bowl off the carb, drain out any water, or particles that might be in the carb bowl.
Please let us know what works, and if you get running.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.