Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air

After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new house is only 1.5 years old.
TIA.
--
---------------------------
Scall5
Scall5 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean "gas furnace" as forced air heat with gas as a fuel is a "gas furnace."
Now the question of "more often" If you mean more cycle times per day, then that is a factor of the size of the system and the thermostat. The thermostat determines when heat is called for. Most have some sort of adjustment for this.
All else being equal your system is more efficient if you allow longer on times and therefore wider temperature swings. this however may be less comfortable or may cause you to increase the temperature setting and loose the efficency.
An oversized unit may cycle less often due to its size. Many modern units have adjustable outputs that will result in longer cycles for more comfort and less energy use.
On the other hand, if it is just staying on more total time per day, that may be the result of having a system that is not oversized and that should result in less energy use and more comfort.
In short, chances are, you have nothing to worry about.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day
On 14-Nov-04 At About 10:39:43, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air
JM> Scall5 wrote: >> After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new >> house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new >> house is only 1.5 years old.
>> TIA.
JM> I am not sure what you mean "gas furnace" as forced air heat with gas JM> as a fuel is a "gas furnace."
This part is correct.
JM> Now the question of "more often" If you mean more cycle times per JM> day, then that is a factor of the size of the system and the JM> thermostat. The thermostat determines when heat is called for. Most JM> have some sort of adjustment for this.
This part is also correct.
JM> All else being equal your system is more efficient if you allow JM> longer on times and therefore wider temperature swings. this however JM> may be less comfortable or may cause you to increase the temperature JM> setting and loose the efficency.
This is also correct
JM> Many modern JM> units have adjustable outputs that will result in longer cycles JM> for more comfort and less energy use.
here is where you are wrong again. most units do NOT!! have an adjustable output. most come with a fixed btu rating and you cannot adjust them. if however you are talking about multi stage units you should have clarified that.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "Its hard for me to buy clothes because I'm not my size."- s.w.
041114 0929 - Scall5 posted:

It's not new then, is it?
Hi Scall5, hope you are having a nice day
On 14-Nov-04 At About 09:29:30, Scall5 wrote to All Subject: Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air
S> After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new S> house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new S> house is only 1.5 years old.
I think you need to verify this. a gas furnace is forced air. do you mean you had a boiler before?
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.